The Leonids are back!

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited November 2006 in The Clubhouse
I realize this is a super nerdy thing but honestly, the conditions for viewing haven't been this good in a long time.

The Leonids are a debris field left by a comet that orbited the Sun back in like 1932. Every so often, the Earth passes through the debris field and the resulting meteor shower is usually a nice display. Sometimes, clouds, the Moon and other issues ruin the show. This year though, the east coast is wide open weather wise and the more is not even 1/4 full and doesn't rise until about 3:30 AM, long after the shower show starts.

What makes it even better this year is that it seems are are going to pass through the debris field late. That means more meteors and a better show. So if you can get out past the light pollution, you're in for a show. It's not really a once in a lifetime chance but it is worth making the effort to see it. It'd a be good family thing to do too. Better luck is that it's a weekend so kids don't have to be up for school in the morning.

http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/1113_Leonid_Meteor_Shower_2006__When.html

"The nights and early morning hours of November 17-19 mark the return of the Leonid meteor shower to the skies of Earth. Viewers along the northeastern coast of the United States and Canada, as well as people in Europe and western Africa might get to see a possible 'outburst' of as many as 100-600 meteors per hour. This spike in activity is predicted for 11:45 p.m. — 1:33 a.m. EST on November 18-19 (4:45 — 6:33 UT on November 19)."
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2006
    Nothing nerdy about that. I think it's very cool!

I'll gaze up when I get home late tonight/early morning and hopefully catch a few.

John
    No excuses!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    So I take it that I, being in Indiana, won't be able to see it???
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited November 2006
    I agree, nothing at all nerdy about appreciating the wonders of the world. My appreciation started on a backpacking trip during Hale Bopp in the '90s. Camped out in a field in George Washington National Forest with no manmade light at all. I swear you could hear that thing burning through the sky! Ever since then I try to head to Assateague Island when there's a meteor shower to be seen. Looking out over the ocean from a national seashore with the closest town about 10 miles away is incredible!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited November 2006
    Crap. I saw this 5 years ago very nicely, we live in the county. I doubt I'll be able to find the time to get out of Nashville (That's an accomplishment right there) and away from light to see this.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Jstas
    edited November 2006
    strider wrote:
    Ever since then I try to head to Assateague Island when there's a meteor shower to be seen. Looking out over the ocean from a national seashore with the closest town about 10 miles away is incredible!

UGH! Assateague! Talk about the middle of nowhere! Well, not really the middle of nowhere, more like next to the middle of nowhere. I know exactly where it is. The trip down to Chincoteague almost reminds me of Deliverance. Until I see the sign for Goose Kill Rd and then i start wondering exactly how that road got it's name. Not far passed that though is the Assawoman (yes, that is it's REAL name) town post office. It's a trailer, not even a doublewide, but it's got a HUGE sign saying Assawoman Post Office and then the office number. I have a picture of me and another guy from work standing next to it in the rain. Assateague Island's not far from Wallop's Island where I have spent a good portion of my 20's radiating things and tracking things. Now that is the middle of nowhere! I especially like the road to Chincoteague, where I usually stay at the Island Motor Inn. Two lanes about 6 feet above the salt marshes. During a high tide or storm surge, the road can become covered with water and you end up driving through breakers cresting due to the crown of the road. Miles of billboards that I think God himself put up. Got stuck out there in a snow storm one time, they closed the site and we all had to drive back to town. That was the scariest ride I ever took in my life! Driving down that road in the snow storm was nuts! Breakers busting over the side of the guardrail and launching sheets of ice into the road while you are trying to drive down the sheet of ice that is the road in a squall with less than 6 ft. of visibility and a 60 mph crosswind constantly trying to push you into the drink. Yeah, I needed several good stiff drinks after that one!

I prefer heading out the Pine Barrens. Usually right around the Carranza Memorial. Being part of the Boy Scouts for most of my life, I have had many opportunities to gaze at the night sky in a splace free of light pollution. If I had the time, I'd run up to Ockanikon Scout Reservation in PA. It right on the Bushkill River and way out in the sticks. The stars are so numerous that it'll screw with your night vision even without a moon in the sky.

• Jstas
    edited November 2006
    ledhed wrote:
    Crap. I saw this 5 years ago very nicely, we live in the county. I doubt I'll be able to find the time to get out of Nashville (That's an accomplishment right there) and away from light to see this.

You should still be able to see it. The lack of a Moon in the sky is very beneficial. You'll just be able to see more if you can get out to the sticks and park somewhere.

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    Well if he can see it from Nashvegas, then I should be able to see it from Naptown.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • strider
    edited November 2006
    Sounds like you're describing the Virginia side of Assateague? The Maryland side of Assateague isn't quite that bad. It's just south of Ocean City, MD; seperated from the lights by the Ocean City inlet and the Maryland state park portion of Assateague. We'll usually get a campsite at the national park, load up with firewood, and drive down the beach to the Virginia line. You can't drive on the Virginia side of the beach, so there's not a lot of other people around in the off season. If you get cold you can always drive into town for a hot meal and a bottle or two!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Jstas
    edited November 2006
    strider wrote:
    Sounds like you're describing the Virginia side of Assateague? The Maryland side of Assateague isn't quite that bad.

Yeah, I haven't spent too much time on the Maryland side. I've spent a good deal of time on the VA side though. Still the same island, just different ends.

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2006
    Many years back, I met some friends in Assateague ( I think it was that). I drove down at night after work and remember how ****-myself scared I was driving down that narrow **** 2 lane road hovering just a few feet above the water. I think NASA still has a site down there with huge radar dishes and things like that. I remember passing them on my way there.

Strider, what part of Baltimore ya from? I'm a good 'ol Dundalk Boy!
    No excuses!
  • Jstas
    edited November 2006
    NASA has 2 facilities in that area. One is for the space stuff, the other is for radar stuff. I've been to the facility many times. The space area is an air field and research facility that actually serves as one of the backup runways for the space shuttle. It's actually on the main land but one of the access roads to the island runs right though it. The other place sits right on the ocean at the very end of the island.

• strider
    edited November 2006
    Strong Bad wrote:

Strider, what part of Baltimore ya from? I'm a good 'ol Dundalk Boy!

I live in Fullerton. Or Overlea. Or Perry Hall. Or Nottingham. It really depends on who's asking! Either way you cut it, just inside the beltway off of Bel Air Rd. My girlfriend and I just bought our first house in August. I planted the seed in her head of having a media room when we first got the house; it's been tough, but I think it's at least germinating!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2006
    We usually go to our place way out in the country, no lights around. Everybody gets a sleeping bag and just lay on our backs and be amazed. Cool stuff.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited November 2006
    We usually go to our place way out in the country, no lights around. Everybody gets a sleeping bag and just lay on our backs and be amazed. Cool stuff.

....are you talking about stargazing or ........ ? :eek:
    Sal Palooza
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited November 2006
    I love stargazing. Unfortunalety, i can't enjoy it here in nyc.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2006
    It's clouding up as we speak here in Jersey, so no show tonight.