Velodyne help

Options
jhw59
jhw59 Posts: 348
I'm putting together a home theater on a budget and have been looking at all the audiogon velodyne classifieds. There are so many models-which is the best. Do I need a self powered unit or should i power with the receiver I get?
My room is is approximately 180 square feet. Can I live with a 10" sub or does the 12" make a lot of difference? thanks everyone

Also is the paid subscription to audiogon worth it?
What's the oldest subwoofer you should buy- 1 year 5 years?
Post edited by jhw59 on

Comments

• Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited November 2006
    Options
    What is your budget for a sub?

What about your room construction? Floor, walls, open room or closed off? Those items make a big diff in the amount of sub you need.

You'll probably want a powered subwoofer. Receivers generally have pre-amp line outs for the sub that need amplification anyway.

Why is it Velodyne you're looking at exclusively? I have a Velodyne and a SMS PB12 Plus that are within a few hundred of each other but worlds apart in performance - the SMS kills the Velo.
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • jhw59
    jhw59 Posts: 348
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Well I'm still dtermining a total budget but most bang for the buck is my direction. I am getting a consult from an installer so will know more when that happens. I picked Velodyne as I thought they were the best. I want a sub that will work with movies as well allow me to play music. Is Velodyne not the best choice?
  • Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I would be leery of anyone who tells you that something is "the best" as "best" is different for every listener and situation.

I was very happy with my Velodyne sub, still am. But now I know that I could have the same performance for much less $$ with an SVS subwoofer. Since you are budget minded, you might consider it. Better yet, when you determine your budget, get several different subs, listen to them in your home, and keep the one that fits you best. Return the others. Nearly all of the retailers/vendors have return policies, you simply have to foot the shipping bill in most cases. Only you can tell what sounds good to you in your listening location.
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • garcianc2003
    garcianc2003 Posts: 20
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I own a Sunfire True Subwoofer MK IV and just recently bought a Velodyne SMS-1 Digital Drive bass management system from outlawaudio.com to improve my bass response.
    If I were on the market now, I would be tempted to get two LFM-1 subwoofers and the Velodyne SMS-1 from outlaw audio, all for about $1,500 for brand new gear. Here's the link if you are curious.
    By the way, I believe the SMS-1 comes with the Velodyne Digital Drive series subs but you can buy it separate online from Outlaw audio.