If you can tolerate county music...do me a favor.

shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited November 2006 in The Clubhouse
I know these young men. They are trying to make it in Nashville as writers/performers...You know...working 2 other jobs so they can afford to play music. I gave them a few bucks to help them cut a demo. Give these songs they wrote and performed a listen and give me your opinion. I'm going to go see them in December for their 15 minutes of fame at the Bluebird Cafe. Maybe they will make it...maybe not. But at least they are giving it a shot. Here is their MYSPACE site with 4 songs.

http://www.myspace.com/myfennellroad

Good, no good, like them, hate them? You won't bother me either way. Just curious what someone else thinks.
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited November 2006
    I'm listening to their mp3s on repeat. Short answer, very pleasing to the ears.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited November 2006
    Sounds real good. Hope they get there break
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    Like them, hoping they make it also.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited November 2006
    So so in my opinion. They remind me of the Warren Brothers. Warren Brothers are a good bar band and have good live performances but their CD's don't excite me the same way. I bought the Warren Brothers CD after seeing them open for Tim McGraw 2 years ago. I think I listened to it maybe twice.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • slush
    slush Posts: 124
    edited November 2006
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2006
    Doesn't sound half bad at all. I hope it's enough: one of my favorite groups could never cut a deal with a label, despite obvious and abundant talent.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2006
    I think they're good. Of course, it may take more than that to get a break. Unfortunately, I think their chances for success depend more on how "marketable" they are than their talent.

Do you know how many original songs they've written?
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    jcaut wrote:
    Of course, it may take more than that to get a break. Unfortunately, I think their chances for success depend more on how "marketable" they are than their talent.

More like right place, right time scenario....assuming they have talent.
    jcaut wrote:
    Do you know how many original songs they've written?
    From what I understand they have a couple of dozen complete and quite a few more they are working on. They are writing both the music and lyrics.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2006
    shack wrote:
    More like right place, right time scenario....assuming they have talent.

I agree.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2006
    Shack, it's a shame I had to listen to them over the internet. It sounded so compressed and lack luster. I can hate a genre, but if the performance is great and the recording engineer did a bang up job in that case, I like any kind of music. I love Johnny Cash & Kenny Rodgers. Most of the recordings for those guys were done up very very well. Anyhow:

1. Rock this country==>I didn't like it

2. We'll never know==> I didn't like it

3. Lord lift me up==> I liked it and took a second listen

4. Whiskey==> I liked it

So I guess you could say, I half like them.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2006
    Sounds very produced, and cookie cutter to me. However....since they are looking to make it into the mainstream that is probably a good thing.

For what it's worth, the few friends of mine that actually listen to country on the radio would probably like it.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2006
    Song by song broke about the same for me as it did for hearingimp's...

To my ear the ballad-ish, "Whiskey" and "Lord Lift Me Up" fit the lead singer's voice better. Struck me as being a bit too thin for the first two tracks.

Lyrically, I thought all the tracks were good.

Instrumentally... all struck me as over, or borderline, over-produced. Mix downs seem to feature all the instruments prominently in their intermittent, mini-solos. It drew my attention all over the place, and sometimes away from the lyrics. I think receasing all to some extent, and some to a greater extent would improve the flow.

On the weird side.... the dude in the red t-shirt reminded me of Brett... and Brett in a country group would be pretty weird...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    Tour2ma wrote:
    On the weird side.... the dude in the red t-shirt reminded me of Brett... and Brett in a country group would be pretty weird...

So what are ya trying to say....you can't be **** and a country music artist???:D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    So what are ya trying to say....you can't be **** and a country music artist???:D

I always assumed it was a prerequisite.:D
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    :D Mine was more of a comment on Brett's musical taste actually... "Techno Country" is a genre' that hasn't been developed as yet...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    Tour2ma wrote:

He is a lot shorter than Brett.....

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to pass the comments on to them. I think it is more productive than all the Myspace fluff comments that something like this tends to get.

A couple of observations based on your comments. I think the cookie cutter, overproduced comments are pretty much right. This is thier first recording effort and they are following the formula. The lead singer's voice has potential, but their immediate future may depend more on the lyrics and music writing rather than the performance.

Thanks again.

Anyone else?

• shack
    edited November 2006
    Tour2ma wrote:
    :D "Techno Country" is a genre' that hasn't been developed as yet...

Well there you go....we may just have the hook that gets them to the top. I'll pass that on.