One of those nights....

shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited November 2006 in The Clubhouse
So...it's 6:30 and I'm on my way home from work. Cell phone rings and it's the youngest daughter. "Dad" "I have a little problem". After several minutes of setting up the dilema, bottom line is...as she was going up her boyfriend's driveway she ran over a couple of large rocks his grandfather had left in the middle (gravel driveway) and punched a hole in the oilpan (VW New Beetle). Good news is the boyfriend's dad says he will fix the oilpan since it was his idiot dad's (his words) fault for leaving the damn rocks out there in the first place. She lives in a dorm on campus so she can make do till they get it fixed but may have to miss a couple of days of part-time work.

Before I get get home and less than 30 minutes later, her older sister is on the phone. "Dad, I have a little problem". "You know that battery light thing that came on yesterday that I told you about?" To which I replied "Did you run by the auto parts store to have them check out the battery and alternator like I told you too?" "I'm on my way now...BUT...I'm on the interstate and I think the car is shutting down...the ABS light is coming on...the seat belt light is coming on...the check engine light is coming on!" I'm getting off on this exit but there is no where to pull over because it is in a construction area. OH NO! The car has died, my lights aren't working and I think I'm going to get hit from behind!". The phone goes dead.

After a few agonizing minutes, I get her back on the phone. She has gotten to the side of the road (sort of) without getting hit. She tells me where she is. Not good. The area she has broken down is an area where there are lots of homeless people, drug activity and other not so good stuff. In fact she has stopped on an overpass that is considered shelter for many homeless. I tell her to stay in the car lock the doors, etc. Get a call a few min. later "DAD! There is a man standing outside my window and he just appeared from nowhere"...and hangs up. Now I'm 30 minutes away from where she is. Get her back on the line. Wendell, the homeless guy shows up, helps her push her car further off the road. Looks at the car enough to help her get the emergency blinkers on...Gives her a sweater (because he doesn't know any other women to give it to) and leaves. She gave him a ten for helping her. A cop shows up and tells her that she has broken down in a very bad area...Did she have help coming...stay in the car. I finally get there, call AAA and wait for an hour for them to arrive. Maybe I could boost the battery if I could get my car turned around...but on this stretch of road that isn't going to happen. While we are waiting for the tow truck, Wendell shows up an tells me he's stayed up on the hill keeping an eye out for my daughter. I thank him...and he asks for more change.

Finally get the car to the dealership, to probably get a new alternator. I get my oldest daughter back to her condo, make sure she has a ride to classes in the morning. I check on her sister to make sure she got back to the dorm. She did... but I have to locate an oil pan for the boyfriend's dad, since he goes to work at 5:00AM and would like to be able to have it to put on the car tomorrow afternoon (that's ok). Get home at 11:15.

Nice evening....I'm tired.

On the bright side...everbody is ok....and the cars will be fixed.
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2006
    Shack, you scared me.

I don't even want to type what I was thinking as I started reading. Sounds like a pretty damn good night afterall, no? Sheesh.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    All's well that ends well. Raising kids...well... even when they are grown (19 and 22) it seems like they are constantly finding new ways to get the old heart rate up.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited November 2006
    Good karma right there. I'd hate to breakdown near my School. Surrounded by Ghetto.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,549
    edited November 2006
    I have ways of getting my parents' HR up.... I remember, 2 weeks ago, I ran into an obnoxiously large pot hole...

Completely tore apart the tire rods on front left wheel... steering wheel shook uncontrollably the rest of the way home.

I get home from my apartment... "Dad, the car's shaking violently."

Joey :(

PS
    Good job Shack! You did good and I'm glad all's well!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited November 2006
    I had a lump in my throat while reading this. I'm glad that it all turned out well. Good karma flowing there Shack.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    I think I would have had a heart attack.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited November 2006
    Man what a story. Glad everyone is alright after all that.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited November 2006
    You need to go back down to that area and get a receipt from Wendell for the money you gave him. That way you could declare it on your taxes (charity).
    Sal Palooza
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    I'm willing to bet Wendell's 501(c)(3) status might be questionable.

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2006
    Damn, that started out as one scary read. Glad to hear all is good.

Next time bro, put this as the first sentance...no the last.
    On the bright side...everbody is ok....and the cars will be fixed.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2006
    Good ending to a captivating story,,glad to hear that your children are safe,,oil pans and alternators can be replaced,,,:) an interesting story that can be shared around the table at future thanksgiving dinners. Thank God they are safe.:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2006
    I already know you lit an extra candle Steve. Some of the good karma came back around to find YOU as a result of the good waves you've sent out.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2006
    Good Job POP!!!!

You know they are worth it all.

RT1
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2006
    Glad everything worked out ok.

It times like that I'm happy I've got boys. And one knows his way under the hood better than me.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2006
    Nice going Shack! Glad everyone is safe & sound!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2006
    Frightening story Shack, but a happy ending. It sounded real tense there for a while. Handled very well.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for all the well wishes folks. As much as I think they are a royal pain in the ****...it is situations like this that make me glad cell phones exist!

• slush
    slush Posts: 124
    edited November 2006
    Holy cow man, I would have been a wreck. I am happy everything worked out
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    Wow... unbelievable story! Way to keep it together. I hope you've earned a reprieve from events such as this for at least a year.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2006
    eff the cars, glad the girls are OK, things could have turned out ugly for the older daughter.

stressful night eh?, eeeeesh!
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    Let's hear for Wendell!!!!

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

:D:D

Glad to hear that everything went okay.:)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,197
    edited November 2006
    Glad things ended up well, I thought it was really nice what the guy did.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2006
    Glad everything turned out okay! Quite a scary situation there, with the older daughter.

Your story reminds me a lot of my own experiences with my younger sister when we were both in college. She fairly well kept me busy bailing her out of various car-trouble-related situations. I was happier than she was when Mom and Dad finally bought her a new Honda! (Then I just had to keep spare keys-- but that's another story)

Jason
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    I thought it was really nice what the guy did.

Yes it was.

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2006
    Luckily everything turned out fine....
    My oldest son is turning 16 tomorrow; he has his temps and is driving with us every time there's a chance (at least now he actually wants to go out with us...:)).
    I don't even want to think on what's coming our way......

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    HTrookie wrote:
    I don't even want to think on what's coming our way......

After several years of daughters with cars, boyfriends with cars and a combination of the two....

Moving violations, totaled cars (3 - 1 for each daughter, one for boyfriends - rain a factor in 2 of them), fender benders, flat tires, breakdowns, pacing the floor wondering where they hell they are, praying, etc, etc, etc.

Want more? I could continue...

Our insurance agent's philosophy was to council each girl when they got their license as to what to do in an accident. As he put it...It's not IF they have an accident, but WHEN they have an accident.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

And before I forget...AAA is a necessity...not an option.

• MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2006
    Is this what I have to look forward to? I have 4 girls 14, 7, and twins at 17 months. I guess high blood pressure is in my future.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880