Momo's on the Way!

Ern Dog
Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
edited November 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I Pulled the trigger and purchased some Polk Momo 5x7's (fronts only) and an entry level Kenwood HU for my 2002 Tacoma- both for $205. :D I can't believe the great prices they have at millionBuy.com

I auditioned the db 5x7 at Circuit City and was only mildly impressed. They don't carry momo's so I'm buying them without auditioning them first. I'm hoping to avoid getting a sub and amp, but will consider it if the momo's needs more power or if the lows don't cut it.

I found a local car auto shop that will install the speakers for $30 and deck for $30 + installation parts.

Can't wait to hear how it all sounds,
Ern Dog
Post edited by Ern Dog on

Comments

• Ern Dog
    edited November 2006
    Well, after talking with a local car audio shop, I'm making some changes to my original plan...

Turns out that my current speakers are JBL separates and are better than the 5x7 Momo's I was going to upgrade to- more like a downgrade. So I'm keeping those in and I'm getting a better HU instead of the Kenwood. I decided to go with the Pioneer 4800.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2006
    Ern Dog wrote:
    Turns out that my current speakers are JBL separates and are better than the 5x7 Momo's I was going to upgrade to- more like a downgrade.

I wouldnt necessarily say that.

Generally components are better than coaxials, but it depends on which line of JBL's those are.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Ern Dog
    edited November 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    I wouldnt necessarily say that.

Generally components are better than coaxials, but it depends on which line of JBL's those are.

I agree. The car audio tech guy said he was certain that my JBL separates were better than the 5x7 momo's. I did a search on the internet to see what line of JBL speakers I have, but couldn't come up with anything.
  • Ern Dog
    edited November 2006
    Got the new Pioneer 4800 in today and WOW, what a huge difference it made. The system kicks **** now. No need to replace my speakers. Most people would be satisfied at this point, however, I'm a big fan of low end bass, so I'm gonna need to get a sub now, and an amp to power it.

I'm thinking of a single Pioneer 10" sub TS-SW2541D ($99) and a sub box. For the amp maybe a Pioneer GM-7200M, 250 watts @4 ohms. ($120).

Any thoughts or other suggestions about this would be helpful. thanks.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2006
    I just put in the same Pioneer HU in my car. it's quite nice. did you have an amp installed for them speakers?
    I'm at the same point. now I need a sub and amp. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Ern Dog
    edited November 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    I just put in the same Pioneer HU in my car. it's quite nice. did you have an amp installed for them speakers?
    I'm at the same point. now I need a sub and amp. ;)

Yes, I noticed your thread about your disappearing bass- that sucks. That is cool that we got the same HU on the same day. I'm not using any amps just using the power from the Pioneer HU and it seems to sound great. As I mentioned earlier, I want more low end extension and it isn't fair to expect this out of my mids- so a sub is a must.

It's funny how once you start upgrading, it just keeps growing. A couple months ago I was happy as a clam with my car stereo, then one day I woke up and decided I needed an HU and now I've decided I need a sub. I love this hobby.
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited November 2006
    love it till the pocket book is empty! then love it some more...
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.