Anyone familiar with Fort Collins, Colorado?

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited November 2006 in The Clubhouse
The wife and I are looking at places around the US to move to in a few years and I just read a great article on Fort Collins and how nice it is there. They seem to have great housing prices to boot, with them expecting to go up 28% in the next 5 years.

Anyone have any input on Fort Collins? We are planning a trip out to Colorado in late April or early May to check out the state. One requirement is that there has to be grass. I love my parent's place out in AZ but I can't stand the lack of green out there. I saw some pics of Colorado Springs and it looks to be somewhat desert-like. That won't cut it in my book :D

Thanks!
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• RSTERN
    RSTERN Posts: 287
    edited November 2006
    I lived on the west side of denver in the mid 90s. That was one of the first thing I noticed was the lack of greenery. I grew up in Indiana. The mountains made up for alot of that. I one thing I did not like was the wind, I can remember having days with 50 and 60 mph(gusts to 80) wind all day. Never had that kind of wind in Indiana. Still liked living out there. There is alot of different thing you can do.
    Rob
    mains: rt16
    center: csi40
    surrounds:fx 1000
    sub: SVS 20-39pc+
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited November 2006
    Ft. Collins is a great place to live. The winds that Rstern is talking about are few and far between. One thing nice about FC is your close to the mountains, close to shopping in Denver, Boulder is fun, there is just a lot of fun things to do there.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited November 2006
    Fort Collins is truly a great place, I went to school there at CSU and I'd move back there in a heartbeat if I was offered a teaching job. The city has grown up nicely. Keep in mind that the whole front range is still a semi arid desert, so the Pacific Northwest it ain't. But it's still green in the summer with trees and watered lawns.

Plus it's home to New Belgium Micro-brewery, makers of Fat Tire!

The one bad thing is that you are a bit far from the ski areas, but some if you like fishing the Cache le Poudre river, snow mobiling, x-country skiing, water skiing at Horsetooth Reservoir, is just a few minutes away.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • RSTERN
    RSTERN Posts: 287
    edited November 2006
    Sorry, Yes winds like that are few and far between, but coming for Indiana and never seeing wind like that I was looking for a tornado:)
    mains: rt16
    center: csi40
    surrounds:fx 1000
    sub: SVS 20-39pc+
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2006
    Sorry, Colorado is full. Try Texas.

:D
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2006
    Yup, you gotta wait for us natives to get back before anymore space is to be made for you!

And yes, they have grass there, both kinds...

If you are just looking at future cities to live in, check out Golden and Springs on your way through CO. I would move to either city in a heartbeat. Boulder is very granola hippy and expensive and Denver is like any other major city so I wouldn't recommend those unless that's the environment you're looking for.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Polkapops
    Polkapops Posts: 267
    edited November 2006
    The wife and I took our motorcycles out there a few years back. Had our oil changed in Ft. Collins. Just a short distance from Estes/Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. Wonderful scenery!!!!! As a matter of fact, we are still kicking around the idea of possibly moving out there after she retires. The Rockies in Colorado are especially gorgeous - Take a drive up to Estes while you're there - I'm sure that'll clinch your decision........simply beautiful!! I envy you.......
    HT & Music System:
    Receiver - Denon AVR-3805
    DVD/SACD Player - Denon DVD-2900
    Outlaw 770 amp
    Polk LSi 15's up front
    Polk LSiC center
    Polk LSi F/X surrounds
    SVS 16-46 PC+ Subwoofer
    Sony Wega KDF-50WE655