Christmas Crazy

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Am I the only one who thinks Xmas has gotten waaaayyy out of hand? The church around the corner from my house already put its Xmas lights up. I went in Home Depot yesterday and they are selling Xmas cards!

It seems 99% of Xmas is all about consumerism, and it appears to be starting earlier each year. Has Xas lost its religious significance?
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited November 2006
    Well lst night, we drove by an area, they had the lights ON !! I said to my wife WTF ?!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2006
    Early B. wrote:
    It seems 99% of Xmas is all about consumerism, and it appears to be starting earlier each year. Has Xas lost its religious significance?

All, no - most of it's significance - yes. I think it all started with people calling it 'Xmas' instead of Christmas. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2006
    For the most part it probably has lost a lot. In our home the religious emphasis is reinforced to our young son and hopefully some of it will stick. In Canada our inept gov't insists that it must not offend minorities. In the end, the majority is penalized for the sake of a few. Sad, but true. I have yet to understand why the religious significance of Christmas cannot be demonstrated in a classroom of 35 children when 2 of the 35 do not honour this holiday. Where I live the old fashion values are, for the most part, still held. Unfortunately I cannot say that for the rest of Canada. I guess that it why I have selected to live where I live.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2006
    ^^^what he said^^^^^
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2006
    Wow! I didn't realize we had exported our candy-**** political correctness across our northern border.:eek:
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited November 2006
    Well said janmike.

Here is a part of what I wrote last year in the "holiday" trees thread: Diversity by definition is the inclusion of all, not the exclusion of some. Those who feel offended by this season are themselves not celebrating the diversity they claim to be preaching.

Post: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=380140&postcount=35

Anyway, I was in Sears yesterday and I was happy to see the many "Merry Christmas" signs posted throughout the store. At least they are making an effort to acknowledge the holiday.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited November 2006
    a guy a work said if it wasn't for us they wouldn't have the time off !!
    kinda twisted they request we not offend them yet they reap the benefits of the days off....
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    Some thoughts :

- Yes, Christmas is becoming more and more about consumerism. And it may be very removed from its religious significance, but I think it keeps the spirit alive and well. I don't have any data to back it up, but I know people are most charitable and giving around the holidays, and I think the spirit of giving and "good will towards man" is most strong in this time period. So if we have to deal with excessive consumerism for a better and stronger sense of community with our fellow man, I'll take that trade. And if that's not enough for you, I'm also pretty sure that Christmas is by far the highest Church attendance day of the year.

- Walmart has decided this year to do away with the PC idea of a "holiday" section and is "bring Christmas back".

- Wikipedia has an interesting article about the abbreviation "Xmas", and it has nothing to do with PC-ness or removing "Christ".
    The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021 AD. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ), used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ") (see Labarum), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ.

Many people believe that the term is part of an effort to "take Christ out of Christmas" or to literally "cross out Christ";[citation needed] it is also seen as evidence of the secularization of Christmas or a vehicle for pushing political correctness, or as a symptom of the commercialization of the holiday (as the abbreviation has long been used by retailers).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    I like to celebrate ****-mas!
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2006
    It's depressing how Christmas has just become an economic indicator anymore. It's all about shopping and spending anymore.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited November 2006
    +1 -- and that would be *excessive* shopping and spending. We still teach the kids what Christmas is about, but they still go for the goodies under the tree.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    I like to celebrate ****-mas!

.... with over $240 worth of pudding.

Ahhhhhhh yeah...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited November 2006
    It's depressing how Christmas has just become an economic indicator anymore. It's all about shopping and spending anymore.

Christmas shopping is about spending money you don't have, on things you don't need, for people you don't like. :)
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2006
    Its too early for lights. No lights before Thanksgiving.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2006
    Take the gifts and parties out of Christmas and for most people, it's just another day off.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited November 2006
    Wait...were still allowed to say the word "Christmas"?
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2006
    I think you can, but if you can't, look for the nearest Democrat to blame Libertyc...... :D
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,672
    edited November 2006
    Friday after Thanksgiving ("Black Friday"), stay home, pull out a copy of Bruce Cockburn's "Christmas" album, and give it a spin.

I suspect it'll cheer you up if you're down on the consumerism and ephemera around the holidays :-)

09B25F4B8EF62556E0400B0A0E0D61BB.jpg