What to get

Options
jp3
jp3 Posts: 10
edited December 2006 in Car Subwoofer Talk
What should I get for a set-up. Right now I have one ten inch alpine type x in a ported box with a 1100 watt kenwood amp and it bumps but not hard enough for me. What do you guys think I should get two 15 type r's or two more alpine type x 12's. Or give me some suggestions, by the way it is going in my 4 door ford f-150 but I am taking one of the seats out.
Post edited by jp3 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Get 2 Type R 15's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jp3
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Do you think that will be to much to handle inside?
    I might just get one 12 type x and get rid of my old amp and get a new 1000 alpine amp
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited November 2006
    Options
    i have two alpine x type 12s pushed by 1 jl audio 1000/1 amp per sub, **** hits hard guy.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • jp3
    edited November 2006
    Options
    yeah I think I might just get two more type x's but 12's and put like 1800 on them. That way it doesn't look wierd either and I will have 3 of the same subs.
  • jp3
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Got an even better idea, 2 rockford t1 15 1200 watts each. Already got them ordered!!

Cant wait this is going to bump so hard, especialy if I get like 1800 watts to them. Give me some suggestions on amps, right now I have a new kenwood 1100 amp powering my x.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited November 2006
    Options
    jl audio, fosgate, apline, Xtant, I have used all of these car audio products to include amps, subs, crossovers with successful outcomes.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • jp3
    edited November 2006
    Options
    hey just wondering what you guys think the best amp for your money is. I have about 300.00 to spend on an amp.

I was think a rockford with 2400 watts to even out my subs with 1200 each

What do you think?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Rockford makes a good amp.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jp3
    edited November 2006
    Options
    should I get a mono amp or a 2 channel, i am still a little confused about this. I thought that you could only hook up one subwoofer on a mono, am I right?
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2006
    Options
    jp3 wrote:
    should I get a mono amp or a 2 channel, i am still a little confused about this. I thought that you could only hook up one subwoofer on a mono, am I right?

You can hook up almost an infinite number of subs to a monoblock amp...the trick is to do so while wiring those subs to match the minimal stable impedance of your amp.

Mono amp stable to 2 ohms- two 4 ohm svc subs or one dual 4 ohm dvc sub can both give you that 2 ohm load.

You do reach a point of diminishing returns when wiring up multiple subs, though...every sub you add splits the power produced by the amp.

500 watt rms (at 2 ohms) mono amp connected to one dual 4 ohm dvc sub will send 250 watts to each voice coil (but 500 watts to the sub as a whole), while the same amp will send 250 watts to each of two seperate 4 ohm svc subs if wired parallel. This is useful if you want to match your amp to the appropriate types and numbers of subwoofers while keeping in mind the rms power handling of the subs.

If you were to connect even more subs (and maintain the 2 ohm stable impedance by using a combination of series and parallel wiring schemes), you would be sending less wattage to each sub than that. Each sub connected should net you an output increase of +3db, but if you start sending the additional subs less than optimal power they won't provide the expected output- any additional subs after a point will net you less overall output.

Where large numbers of subs wired to a single amp pays off is when using "cheater" type amps which are stable to .5 ohms, for example. They offer more flexibility, and produce huge amounts of power (well above rated) when having multiple subs connected, wired at low impedance. These high current amps don't come cheap, though.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html
  • jp3
    edited November 2006
    Options
    thank you very much for the info

one more question though
    I have two rf T1 15 at 1200 peak and 1 type x 10 at 3000 peak
    so all together I have about 5400 watts of peak power, so would I be safe with gettting a 2 channel rf 3000 watt amp? with 1000 watts of rms power or would I blow something.

Thanks
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2006
    Options
    jp3 wrote:
    I have two rf T1 15 at 1200 peak and 1 type x 10 at 3000 peak
    so all together I have about 5400 watts of peak power, so would I be safe with gettting a 2 channel rf 3000 watt amp? with 1000 watts of rms power or would I blow something.

Thanks

Disregard the peak wattage ratings- RMS is the one you are after. It's a dangerous proposition putting together a system using only peak ratings as your guide.

Take the rms rating of each sub, then match to an amp accordingly.

What amp you buy will depend on what voice coil configuration you have on your RF T1 15" subs. If you bought the single voice coil 4 ohm versions, take the rms wattage rating of a single sub, multiply by two, then look for an amp that supplies that at 2 ohms, give or take a few watts.

I'd highly recommend running either the two 15s or the single 10- don't run all three together. Unless you are prepared to run the three subs with two seperate amps (15s low-passed, 10 high-passed) or an active crossover (more $$), running two 15s plus a 10 will probably sound like a$$, giving you a peaky frequency response and cancellation at the frequency where both types of woofer's response overlaps...way more trouble than its worth.
  • jp3
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Yeah I have a kenwood 1100 watt amp and I think I will just keep that

Also my next door neighbor has a rf 1800 watt amp I can get cheap so I am just going to power my t1's with that.

Thank you once again
  • dmk_187
    dmk_187 Posts: 25
    edited November 2006
    Options
    i think the rockford amps blow pole. i have done lots of business with them and they are nothing like the punch amps of old. i have an entire setup of jbl for slae if you are interested. 2 w10gti's, 1 bpx1100.1, 1 gto 75.4, 1 set of p650c's and 1 set of p963's, all for 1400.00 plus shipping. all brand new. you do want to blow your brains out right?
  • jp3
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I finally got everything, my box my amp and my subs all in one day! The subs are huge and I just cant wait to install them, I will post pictures or something tomorrow or something.
  • jp3
    edited November 2006
    Options
    hey just wondering if I should set them up 2 or 4 ohms?
    Right now I have them hooked up 4
  • dmk_187
    dmk_187 Posts: 25
    edited December 2006
    Options
    what is the rating on your amp? if it isn't 1 ohm stable, you don't them to be 1 ohm.
  • ch00dlz
    ch00dlz Posts: 15
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I'm running 2 12" type X with 2 mono M1000 Alpine V12 amps. You can also run Alpines new PSX amps with that 12 but whatever I just want to get my ratings high enough so I can post in the buy/sell section. It seems like you got enough help in here and you already have what you want...good luck!
    1997 Toyota Supra TT
    1993 Honda Civic K20 swap
    2004 Honda Pilot EX

I WANT TO BUY:
      Polk's C400.4 amplifier (as of 12/31/06)