Sr124 Dvc

JeepinNC49
JeepinNC49 Posts: 9
edited November 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm running an infinity 611a (657 watts rms @ 2 ohms) with one sr124dvc and have noticed some clipping occasionally. I'm guessing that the amp isn't powerful enough for the sub??? Any suggestions as far as what would be a suitable amp?
Post edited by JeepinNC49 on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    Sounds like you're running your gains too hot.
  • JeepinNC49
    edited November 2006
    Gain is less than a 1/3 of the way up. Amp only pushes 761 watts max power to sub, couldn't the clipping be caused by underpowering the sub?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    Maybe the Infinity doesn't like only 2ohms of resistance.

Is it wired like this?:
  • JeepinNC49
    edited November 2006
    Yeah the sub is wired for a 2 ohm load. The infinity amp is 2 ohm stable tho.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2006
    Oops. Ignore my post in the other thread. I didnt see this one.

OK. subs dont clip, amps do. Clipping happens when you push your amp too hard and it sends out a squared off wave at about 15% THD and about 2.5 times its normal power output.

If your amps gain is only 1/3 of the way then chances are, the amp is not clipping.

So what exactly are you hearing?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2006
    what is your frequency level set at?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • JeepinNC49
    edited November 2006
    I've only had the sub for a few days now and it sounds like the sub is going to hit a note and it cuts out abruptly. It doesn't do it often it's only happened a few times. The amplifier only puts out 761 watts max, so couldn't the clipping be caused by the underpowered amplifier???
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 28
    edited November 2006
    JeepinNC49 wrote:
    I've only had the sub for a few days now and it sounds like the sub is going to hit a note and it cuts out abruptly. It doesn't do it often it's only happened a few times. The amplifier only puts out 761 watts max, so couldn't the clipping be caused by the underpowered amplifier???
    Clipping should not be confused with the sound 'cutting out abruptly' -- they are not the same thing. A small amount of clipping can be hard to detect, but extreme clipping will make your sub sound as though it is, for lack of a better term, farting.

If the sound is cutting out, then your amp is likely going into protect mode... and it could be doing that for any number of reasons.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Bose.
  • JeepinNC49
    edited November 2006
    I have the sub in a 1.3 cubic foot box so the net volume is 1.16 cu. ft. As far as a high pass crossover for the front and rear speakers i am using the built in crossover in the head unit, Pioneer DEH-p7800mp. The infinity amp has a Clip light built in to it (didn't even notice it) and during musical peaks at higher volume levels it flashes, this is when the volume is set to around 45 and i usually have it to around 30-35. I have tried inverting the phase of the subwoofer using the phase adjustment on the head unit. From what i understand the amplifier i'm running is borderline to run the SR124DVC. I did recieve some recomendations for alternative amps, kenwood kac-9102d, kicker zx750.1, and mtx ta7801. Any suggestions for other amps or which one to get??? Or how to make the infinity 611a work w/o clipping?
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited November 2006
    What are the settings on your HU. Pioneer uses several things in the sound processing department with their units. If you combine them you could end up with a clipped signal from your HU. Are you using the preset EQ curves? I have found them to be way too generous, especially when it comes to the boosting of the lower frequencies. I tried them to see what sound they produced, but always chose to use my own. Are you using the Loudness, BBE, or the BMX features? I tried all of those. The only one of these functions that I used was the BBE function, and that was at level -4 to -3 (on my unit the level was from +4 to -4), anything more and it was just too much boosting going on for me.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • JeepinNC49
    edited November 2006
    I have BBE set to 0 and BMX set to BMX1. I am using the preset EQ curves and loudness is off. Will try tweaking the settings to see if they help w/ the clipping. Would a stiffining capacitor help to reduce the clipping?