add plate amp to unpowered sub?

Options
Jim Shearer
Jim Shearer Posts: 369
edited November 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I have an old unpowered 10" sub w/ my little Visonik David 602 speakers that I would like to modify so I can use it in a future project. It's a really solid sub in a nice cabinet that my wife looks favorably upon. (Critical factor!)

I openned the box & checked the driver to be sure the surround is still good, which it is. Then I checked the driver to see about impedence, etc. When I bought the sub they said it used a dual voice coil so that you could have a single driver for both channels. Turns out that it is a single voice coil and the stereo signals are summed by a TRANSFORMER which feeds the driver! No indication of the driver's impedence and I have no test equipment beyond a VOM.

SO, is it likely that I can remove the cross-over and transformer, enlarge the openning in the back of the case, and add a plate amp from PartExpress? This seems reasonable to me, but then I don't know much about designing speakers.

Thanks, Jim
A day without music is like a day without food.
Post edited by Jim Shearer on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Huh, if it has a transformer I like it has an amp also.

Q, does it have an RCA input for the sub? If so it as an amp now.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Jim Shearer
    edited November 2006
    Options
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Huh, if it has a transformer I like it has an amp also.

Q, does it have an RCA input for the sub? If so it as an amp now.

As stated, the transformer is used to sum the L + R signals and pass them to the driver. No amp. Only input is the L & R speaker wires, output is L & R speaker wires to the Visonik David 602's. If there was an amp inside the sub, then I wouldn't need to do anything.

Cheers, Jim
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Ok, don't see why you can't add a plate amp.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2006
    Options
    look at the bracing, if there is any. if you can see inside of it (I assume by popping out the driver, make sure there is room to mount the plate amp. another option is to remove the terminals/transformer thingamabob, seel the hole with a piece of mdf with just one speaker terminal (which you would wire directly to the driver)

you can then get a plate amp (since it is one channel and has a built in crossover) and mount it in a seperate box.

factoring in if you have the room (without cutting bracing) to mount the amp directly to the cabinet, do whichever is easier.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2006
    Options
    The thing that looks like a transformer is probably a large inductor to remove hi frequencys.It and any capacitors or other crossover parts should be removed if you add the plate amp.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jim Shearer
    edited November 2006
    Options
    GV#27 wrote:
    The thing that looks like a transformer is probably a large inductor to remove hi frequencys.It and any capacitors or other crossover parts should be removed if you add the plate amp.

I hadn't thought much about that, but it seems likely. In any event, the transformer-like device takes in the L and R signals separately and outputs mono to the driver. It just threw me for a loop when I saw it. :eek:

Thanks guys, I feel a bit more confident in ripping out the cross-over and "summing" device and installing a plate amp. Then I can use it w/ any speakers I like. ;) (he says as he carefully advances his dark plans.)

Cheers, Jim