Understanding the vernacular

strider
strider Posts: 2,568
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Every forum has it's lingo, this one's no exception. Been doing fairly well, taking the context and figuring it out from there. There were a couple I had a bit of trouble with: sibilance, YMMV, and finally, WAF. I thought sibilance had something to do with the way the treble is heard, confirmed that with Google. YMMV, found it on Wikipedia. I thought the definition I found of WAF was apropos: Wife Acceptance Factor, commonly used in discussions related to HTPC and other media devices. The first known WAF reference was in a 1989 article about wives rebellion against 'oversized loudspeakers' As in: The WAF of my SDA 2B purchase went from nil to about 10% when I sold one of my pairs ofRT55i's.

Good stuff.
Wristwatch--->Crisco
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited November 2006
    That reminds me of a story.....

I received a phone call from a gorgeous ex-girlfriend the other day.

We lost track of time, chatting about the wild, romantic nights we used to enjoy together.

I couldn't believe it when she asked if I'd be interested in meeting up and rekindling a little of that "magic."

"Wow!" I said. "I don't know if I could keep pace with you now. I'm a bit older and a bit balder

than when you last saw me."

She just giggled and said she was sure I'd "rise" to the challenge.

"Yeah." I said. "Just so long as you don't mind a man with a waistline

that's a few inches wider these days!"

She laughed and told me to stop being so silly. She teased me saying that tubby bald men were cute,

and she was sure I would still be a great lover.

Anyway, she giggled, "I've put on a few pounds myself!"

So I told her to f*ck off.
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    ninerbj wrote:
    That reminds me of a story.....

I received a phone call from a gorgeous ex-girlfriend the other day.

We lost track of time, chatting about the wild, romantic nights we used to enjoy together.

I couldn't believe it when she asked if I'd be interested in meeting up and rekindling a little of that "magic."

"Wow!" I said. "I don't know if I could keep pace with you now. I'm a bit older and a bit balder

than when you last saw me."

She just giggled and said she was sure I'd "rise" to the challenge.

"Yeah." I said. "Just so long as you don't mind a man with a waistline

that's a few inches wider these days!"

She laughed and told me to stop being so silly. She teased me saying that tubby bald men were cute,

and she was sure I would still be a great lover.

Anyway, she giggled, "I've put on a few pounds myself!"

So I told her to f*ck off.

Oh so cold.:p
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited November 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    Oh so cold.

I don't know. Referencing the "Mr Bigbluelight Complete Encyclopedia on Women" (Volume II), I think it is safe to say that if the little dolly is going to let herself go like that (putting on a few pounds), than she needs to be kicked to the curb.

What next ? Excuses for not retrieving your sammich and beer from the kitchen in a timely manner when so directed ?

Less than fluffy pancakes ? Where does it end ?

Wise move, Ninerbj.
    Sal Palooza
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2006
    Funny.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited November 2006
    It was a joke dude! An old joke at that! I think it was originally told by the late, great Buddy Hackett. So lighten up already. What's the matter? *You have sand in your ****?

*as told by the comic genius of Mr. Eric Cartman
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    I know it's an old joke, I just forgot to put up the smiley.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"