car sub - free air

Options
sunil3478
sunil3478 Posts: 17
edited November 2006 in Car Subwoofer Talk
i am looking for suggestions for a Free Air usage subs. I want to install the Sub between my rear speakers in my accord (like the newer luxury cars have factory installed subs there, just below the rear windsheild).

i really liked the momo's in my frineds M3, but he is using a box for that, will
momo's not work at all or do they not sound as good as in box, i really wanna try them,

what do u guys think, shud i try a 12" momo?? also which AMP will power it enough, i will use this AMP only for my sub and nothing else.

thanks in advance
Post edited by sunil3478 on

Comments

• dmk_187
    dmk_187 Posts: 25
    edited November 2006
    Options
    in all honesty, i would use an enclosure. free air is a tough cookie to cover and most people won't cover the subject because most speakers are designed to use enclosures. since there is no back pressure on the cone, then you would have to be very careful about the wattage of your amp. you would probably want to be a hair lower than RMS, and you dono't want to use a 500 or 600 rms sub.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Look for sud that are rated for free air use, You could also try using a home audio sub that is listed as ok for ib use, either way your trunk has to be totally sealed fro the interior of the car to get good sound
  • dmk_187
    dmk_187 Posts: 25
    edited November 2006
    Options
    dude has a good idea about the home sub idea. you would have better luckand probably save some money in the process.