Meeting Across the River

Libertyc
Libertyc Posts: 914
edited November 2006 in Gatherings & Special Events
Tonight Hearingimpared (Joe), pearsall001 (Phil), and I had a small get together over in New Jersey. Phil was the generous host at tonights listening-fest. Joe and I crossed the Delaware from the badlands of Killadelphia to listen to the sweet sounds of Phils 2 Ch rig...and it was the most impressive rig.
It only had two little bookshelfes. All I can say is Holy ****. They completly filled the room with the most smoothest sound and rock solid bass (see Joe's review). Did I say they were bookshelfs??:cool: I'm very lucky to be a forum member and to meet such nice people. Thanks Phil and Joe.

Bill
Post edited by Libertyc on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2006
    Good to see polkies getting together and enjoying some tunes :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited November 2006
    Excellent!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2006
    very good getting together to hang out and listen to tunes. Yep, making those personal connections is what makes this fourm an actual club.
    I hope to meet all of this gang at PF07, over at Ant'ny's.

RT1
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2006
    sweet... sounds like a great time..

you know.. that's what i like about this hobby and this site.. Club Polk brings people together who would otherwise never meet online or in person.

With the exception of a few bad apples over the years.. everyone on here I've met or chatted with via emails have been really great people. I too am looking forward to PF07 already.. so i can meet more of you's in person. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2006
    Excellent. Phil had asked me to come up a little while back, but I was too busy at the time. I would love to hear this rig, and check out the sound treatments he has done.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2006
    Good times had by all.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited November 2006
    Real cool guys! You are fortunate to have some Polkies in your neighborhood to enjoy this hobby. Glad everyone had a good time!
    Carl

• Libertyc
    edited November 2006
    Yes,
    It was a great time at Phil's house. We listened to some great tunes and very nice gear.
    The Diana Krall cd (and DVD) were awesome and her vocals just melted in your mouth. Phil also played some Mapleshade recordings and they were even better. Joe brought over his JATPS cd that converted Phil's house into a jazz club.
    Everything in Phil's rig was perfectly set up from the speaker placement to the room treatments. The longer you listened more detail you discovered in the recordings. My system is like a toy compared to Phil's.

Bill
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited November 2006
    Were you watching "Live in Paris"?
    Carl

• Libertyc
    edited November 2006
    YES,

It was the live in Paris DVD. Phil played the CD on the 2 ch rig which was awesome. Then he fired up the HT and played the DVD and WOW...I was in the front row at the Diana Krall concert. I also broke my SVS cherry:D .
  • Libertyc
    edited November 2006
    Oh yea,
    I should have mentioned we were watching on a 50 inch Sony LCD. Awesome TV. I go home from Phils and my rig sounds like crap and now my TV looks like crap. I should have never went there.

Bill
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited November 2006
    Libertyc wrote:
    Oh yea,
    I should have mentioned we were watching on a 50 inch Sony LCD. Awesome TV. I go home from Phils and my rig sounds like crap and now my TV looks like crap. I should have never went there.

Bill

No need to go overboard here. From what you told me your house sounds like it's a mini studio. Your compliments are greatly appreciated though. You & Joe were the first to really critique my system. My local friends are happy with their Bose & are pretty much clueless when it comes to good sound. It really was a fun night & I'm happy you guys had a good time. Looks like I have to have Amulford over. The more the merrier I always say.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2006
    I envy you guys that have friends with audio interest. I'm still searching, but for now it's a man show.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2006
    amulford wrote:
    Excellent. Phil had asked me to come up a little while back, but I was too busy at the time. I would love to hear this rig, and check out the sound treatments he has done.

We were talking about you and MSALLA . . . you guys need to make the time!:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    Well once again Wednesday night was a real charmer. It is so nice to chew the fat and really sit down and listen to some quality music on a quality system. I'm so hard up for the sound of analog that I left my Timbre DAC at Phil's so he can keep it powered up (as recommended by the manufacturer) so that he can keep getting addicted to analog music. Maybe I can coerce him into buying a really high end turntable/tonearm/cartridge rig. . . what do you say Phil????

Seriously Phil's 2 ch and HT system and room are really sweet. When I am there I, when I am not babbling, I have a grin ear to hearingimpared ear.

Joe
  • Libertyc
    edited November 2006
    Joe is a madman. He sat in every seat in the room including the rear of the room out of the seating area. Phil and I both need a good vinyl rig...
  • Libertyc
    edited November 2006
    Oh Yea,

The rest of the Jersey guys better make plans to get over to Phil;s. Not to much seating left, and I call the loveseat:cool: .
  • pearsall001
    edited November 2006
    Well once again Wednesday night was a real charmer. It is so nice to chew the fat and really sit down and listen to some quality music on a quality system. I'm so hard up for the sound of analog that I left my Timbre DAC at Phil's so he can keep it powered up (as recommended by the manufacturer) so that he can keep getting addicted to analog music. Maybe I can coerce him into buying a really high end turntable/tonearm/cartridge rig. . . what do you say Phil????

Seriously Phil's 2 ch and HT system and room are really sweet. When I am there I, when I am not babbling, I have a grin ear to hearingimpared ear.

Joe

What will a quality TT set up set me back. Joe, I already showed you my vinyl collection - all 12 of 'em. LOL!!! And half of them you said didn't look promising. I think I'll probably settly for my CD system. Don't forget I've got the AVA Ultra DAC coming. I'm anxious to hear what it'll do. If it's anything like your Timbre DAC it'll be a keeper.

Phil
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    What will a quality TT set up set me back. Joe, I already showed you my vinyl collection - all 12 of 'em. LOL!!! And half of them you said didn't look promising. I think I'll probably settly for my CD system. Don't forget I've got the AVA Ultra DAC coming. I'm anxious to hear what it'll do. If it's anything like your Timbre DAC it'll be a keeper.

Phil

Phil, it would be around $5,000. Get rid of some of your HT junk LOL and use the money for a good analog rig!
  • pearsall001
    edited November 2006
    Phil, it would be around $5,000. Get rid of some of your HT junk LOL and use the money for a good analog rig!

Man, that's chump change in my book!!!! LOL! I'll just sell off one of my Yugo's to free up some cash. Cha-ching, cha-ching!!!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2006
    That's OK, Tootsie. I'm secure enough in my masculinity to share it...;)