A pair of RTi6's as a center channel?

Options
etrigan
etrigan Posts: 160
Greetings!
Don't post often but am here daily,always trying to get my learn on.
Anyways,I would like to ask the advice of the pros.
I just recently moved to a new house and am slowly in the process of setting up a modest 5.1 in the finished basement.

I have an Outlaw 1050 rcvr and a pair of RTi6's as mains,could I use another pair of the 6's as a center channel instead of a traditional center?
(I can get the 6's rather cheap because of a friend)and would prefer this route instead of a CSi5.

If I layed them on their sides I assume it would be similar the the CS (except the extra tweeter)

If I used stackable 'nanners on the Outlaw end-running two cables out of the center output-1 to one of the 6's and 1 to the other.

Would this work? wouldn't it be the same as say bi-wiring the cs or even bi-wiring a single RTi6?
Am I missing something? Any downside(s) to this?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx all!
Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
Post edited by etrigan on

Comments

• rodneeb
    rodneeb Posts: 29
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I'm not one of the pro's you're looking for, but I am curious if you went ahead and tested it out with your current set of 6's? if you don't get many replies here, try the speaker section.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2006
    Options
    there's no reason you can't do it.. but i think it may work better if you just used one of the RTi6's as the center... but that would leave you with a unused RTi6 speaker. what to do?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited November 2006
    Options
    etrigan wrote:
    If I used stackable 'nanners on the Outlaw end-running two cables out of the center output-1 to one of the 6's and 1 to the other.
    I believe that would be hooking the speakers up in parallel. Which would half the resistance of the speakers. The amp would see them as a single speaker with half the ohm rating (eg. two 6 ohm speaker look like one 3 ohm speaker).

I don't know what your amp is capable of. But if it can't handle the lower ohm rating, either hook them up in series, or add some resistance. When I was running two R20s as a center. I used a monster speaker selector box, which added 4 ohms resistance, to hook them up.
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited November 2006
    Options
    How good of a deal can you get RTi6's for?
    There's a CSi30 center F/S in the Flea Market for $100 (no affil.)
    that seems like it would be a better choice, IMHO.
    I used a pair of R15s as a center for a while before I got my CSi30, and there's no comparison. I know 15s aren't 6's, but I think the results would be similar. Demo both setups if you can, and trust your ears.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I would not go this route. A CSi5 uses (2) 6.5" woofers in a cascade tapered array, meaning that one woofer is crossed over at a higher frequency than the other. One driver handles the mids and the other the lows. In this arrangement the drivers are not duplicating work. Using 2 RTi6s would not give you this benefit. Both 6.5" drivers would be reproducing the same sounds. This would only lead to degradation of the imaging. You'd be better off using 1 RTi6 as a center and use the second on as a rear surround back (6.1) speaker.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
    I thought about using just one,but as DB said that would leave me with an unused 6 and I wanted to take advantage of using the extra larger driver (just like the cs has)

I guess my main concern is the sound of the two tweeters (as opposed to the one on the cs) I know it's up to my ears to decide-but would this make it
    sound too bright/harsh whatever you would call it-having four tweets in total
    from the front soundstage?

More important-I'm not sure about the ohm/resistance thing as was mentioned-or is it like I stated earlier-wouldn't it be like biwiring a single speak?
    two seperate cables coming from the Outlaws output,but instead of one going to the upper binding post and one to the lower, one cable would go to one 6 and one cable to the other(with homemade jumpers in place)?

Thanks again!
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.