How About An Audiophile Cable Network!

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
You know I've been thinking (do ya smell the burnt wood?). On my Comcast satellite DVR, I have, the food network, HGTV, DIYnetwork, the **** channel, EWTN Catholic channel, the how to tie your shoes channel, the how to zip your fly channel, etc, etc, etc, ad nausium.

How about an Audiophile Network. You may not get the best audio (depends on your HT/video play back) but there would be lots of different programming that could go on there. How to set-up your turntable for maximum performance, how to make ICs & speaker cables, how to use cable risers, how to maximize your power inputs, how to route your cabling, speaker set up, misc modifications, testing misc tweaks, software details and reviews, equipment reviews, misc DIY upgrades to power amps, there can be segments dedicated to the very high-end just to keep us lusting, the list is endless; actually it goes on infinitum. Sponsors would be beating a path to door as a matter of fact I bet the network would have to turn sponsors away or even have info-mercials with audio or video manufacturers hawking their wares.

How about a separate Videophile Network.

I remember when the Food Network started (cooking is my other hobby that I have spent thousands of dollars on, and I have the belly to prove it) after a while the same people started Home & Garden TV and then the same people started the DIY network all of which my wife and I are addicted to.

I bet both the Audiophile & Videophile networks would be big hits and a way to get the younguns into these obsessions.

Okay wood burning over, calm down, deep breaths, slow the heartbeat, get the blood presure down think good thoughts, visualize the mountains, aaahhhhh thats better. . . ARE YOU STILL HERE????

Later,
Joe
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2006
    I would love to see that. Or a HT/Audio channel.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited October 2006
    I would love to see that. Or a HT/Audio channel.

I would love to see such a channel as well, but most likely we'll get things like how to maximize HD space on a iPod, best HTiB, or similar. Not a shootout of audiophile power cords.

I remember when years ago my public radio station used to run a program called "Audiophile Audition"....topics such as maximizing performance of an antenna, headphone listening, etc. At the very least, the program continued to exist online at www.audaud.com
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2006
    The reasons most of those other channels work out is that they have programming already made for them that draw people in initially. Like, HGTV already had all those home makeover shows that were big on The Learning Channel or Discovery or wahtever, and then they just spun off a channel. I've never even seen a show about anything audio related. So FIRST you have to create a SHOW to show on TLC or Discovery, make it popular, and THEn you can get your own cable network :D
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    The reasons most of those other channels work out is that they have programming already made for them that draw people in initially. Like, HGTV already had all those home makeover shows that were big on The Learning Channel or Discovery or wahtever, and then they just spun off a channel. I've never even seen a show about anything audio related. So FIRST you have to create a SHOW to show on TLC or Discovery, make it popular, and THEn you can get your own cable network :D

Wouldn't it be cool if a really rich audiophile had the vision that Ted Turner had and could flip this into his real 'phile, making money? My cousin is a really rich guy who is really into audio and has equipment both recording and playback that would make us lust and drool like Homer Simpson does for a donut. . . the problem (mine not his) is his first priority is making more money.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Danny Tse wrote:
    I would love to see such a channel as well, but most likely we'll get things like how to maximize HD space on a iPod, best HTiB, or similar. Not a shootout of audiophile power cords.

I remember when years ago my public radio station used to run a program called "Audiophile Audition"....topics such as maximizing performance of an antenna, headphone listening, etc. At the very least, the program continued to exist online at www.audaud.com

I remember something very close to that on a local PBS channel on Sunday mornings and after 9:00 PM Sunday evenings.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2006
    How to set-up your turntable for maximum performance.
    Joe

That would be a big ratings generator... :D

I don't see why not though. My guess is it should be a Home Theater channel primarily due to that being much more popular with the masses. They could have audiophile programming mixed in.

Could you see Russman hosting a program? "**** your flat hat with Russ" :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    madmax wrote:
    That would be a big ratings generator... :D

I don't see why not though. My guess is it should be a Home Theater channel primarily due to that being much more popular with the masses. They could have audiophile programming mixed in.

madmax

WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Or George Grand: "Listen Sniffles if you don't do it this way then blow it out your ****!!!! and if your from PHilly you're too stupid to try it so don't try it at all you'll just screw it up!!"
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,479
    edited October 2006
    madmax wrote:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

And Jesse in smoking jacket with his mahogany pipe, moldy cheese and cheap merlot will now give advice to newbs!:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited October 2006
    there wouldn't be enough content to keep it going.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2006
    Toxis wrote:

Sure there would be. Just add:

Todays System with Hoosier

Cliff and Troy, Friendships in the Audio World
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2006
    An audiophile channel?

...let the whole world know how geeky and nerdy we are, I dunno...

Could you see Joe-schmo, factory worker, channel surfing to the audiophile channel and saying "honey, this moron on the TV spent $5000 on a wire???"...LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited October 2006
    ...or better yet

"Join us this Thursday on Hi-Fi tv and Audio for an hours look at grayscale test patterns!"
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Toxis wrote:
    I beg to differ. Are you saying that we obsessive compulsive audiophiles couldn't come up with some idiotic new fangled widget to make the systems better? Heck I can think of some small companies who put out tweaks galore that we can test and spend hours/days playing with. Their catalogs alone would provide us with enough content to cover weeks on end. We would just have to figure a way to make it not boring in a telecast.

If HGTV could come up with "Cash in the Attic" and make that fun to watch then I think we could come up with things like "Vintage Day," "Analog vs Digital Debate Day", the ideas are endless.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    steveinaz wrote:
    Could you see Joe-schmo, factory worker, channel surfing to the audiophile channel and saying "honey, this moron on the TV spent $5000 on a wire???"...LOL

efff him who the hell wants him tuning in anyway!!!!:eek: :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    ninerbj wrote:
    ...or better yet

"Join us this Thursday on Hi-Fi tv and Audio for an hours look at grayscale test patterns!"

OR

Join in this Saturday night at 8:00 and see how using Pink and White noise will change your life. LOL
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2006
    Well, since those channels are so driven by advertising, every single show would probably claim Bose to be the end all of all things hifi.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Well, since those channels are so driven by advertising, every single show would probably claim Bose to be the end all of all things hifi.

Imagine landing advertising contracts with the high-enders who advertise in TAS and Stereophile. . . just the commercials alone would make it worth watching.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited October 2006
    Imagine landing advertising contracts with the high-enders who advertise in TAS and Stereophile. . . just the commercials alone would make it worth watching.

There could be non-stop commercials for CDs and DVDs as well. They do that already with those Time-Life CD packages already.....