Long listening session with the Jolida 502A

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited July 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
I just had my first long listening session with the Jolid 502A. I'm sure the neighbors are annoyed! The KT-88 tubes are awesome. The EL-34's of the 302A's may have a little more detail but the output of the KT-88's makes up for it. So far my favorite disc's are Jimmy Smith "Root Down" which is a B3 organ disc and Shaun Mullens "Souls Core" CD courtesy of Hoosier (russ A)! It is a little mellow for my liking in general but the tube amps and srs-sda's really make it come alive!!! It has become one of my favorites at this point. Between the two disc's I just got done with over 90 minutes of heaven! After that was some Cheryl Crow and that was no disappointment either. I wish I would have known about this tube stuff 20 years ago. So many sounds that I never heard with my Carvers, Soundcraftsmen's or sunfire amp.
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2002
    so when are you going to give away those nasty sounding Carver and Sunfire amps? As bad as they sound they should be real cheap :)
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    Yeah....Send them to me.....I'll even pay the shipping
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • madmax
    edited July 2002
    Thanks for the helping hand. No... I couldn't impose on you guys like that. Besides, I still need stuff for the HT. Only need junk stuff like the sunfire for that anyway.
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Ahhh....GREAT cd Chuck........

I'm gonna sit right here and watch the sun....
    ...disappear into the ocean.... cause it's been years since I smelled the salty sea.....

I'm gonna turn my bottle up and down, you can see me lost and you can see me found..... I don't know what I've been looking for...maybe me.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2002
    I'm gonna sit right here and watch the sun....
    ...disappear into the ocean.... cause it's been years since I smelled the salty sea.....

I'm gonna turn my bottle up and down, you can see me lost and you can see me found..... I don't know what I've been looking for...maybe me..... and a reach around barehanded, dig like mad and then give the old fingers a whiff?'

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Im DYIN' over here Ron.......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    OMG, man that is GREATNESS !!!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    edited July 2002
    That song may never be the same!
    madmax

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2002
    I want that Soundcraftsman!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • CrazyHead
    CrazyHead Posts: 63
    edited July 2002
    Keen observations about the sound.

I am running a modified JoLida 502A (modded to use EL34's and some upgraded wiring and caps). The 302/502 are great designs from the factory. Just meat and potatoes. However, with some finer ingredients, they can rival the best cullinary delights one can find.

They are a great amp to introduce someone to the world of electronics and high-end audio. Once you start there and get to upgrading, you'll have an amp that can satisfy your needs for years to come. Bridge one, make an integrated monoblock. Buy two, do the same, and solder a bit and have dual monoblocks.

The 302 can be converted into the more expensive 502 with four resistors if you want to run KT88/6550/KT90's.

-crazyhead-