Moab, UT

Frank Z
Frank Z Posts: 5,860
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Teaser Pic, more to come....
9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    Very nice pic! I like the scene, the lighting, and the angle at which the shot was taken; looks nice!

And you better have a lot more where that came from! And I wanna see some Jeeps in some of them, too! :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
    I’ll try to keep this as short as possible, but it may be difficult.

If I could use one word to describe the trip it would have to be SPECTACULAR!

Yes it rained, yes it was cool, yes some of the trails were closed due to the weather, but those things didn’t dampen our spirits at all.

We had grand plans of running a bunch of trails but of course we couldn’t do as many as we’d hoped to do. Some of our time was spent doing Touristy Stuff, but that’s fine with me.

Day One
    We hit Fins & Things in the rain. I was really concerned about the rain affecting the wheeling, but it really didn’t slow us down too much.
    2zimvf4.jpg
    47u0kyr.jpg
    3yrtvuc.jpg
    2uhn2fn.jpg
    2a4s2op.jpg

Klondike Bluffs was next. Although the Well’s book describes it as a Moderate Trail, don’t be fooled. The rain made for some very slick conditions and made route finding a little difficult at times. Normally this is a trail that is run in and back out. We opted to take the alternate route to Salt Flats Road. After making our way to Arches National Park we discovered that the road had actually been closed due to the rain.
    2mrvgix.jpg
    33vj1fr.jpg
    43cxfnt.jpg
    2vt4mq1.jpg

Day Two
    We started the day with big plans, Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. We ended up running Poison Spider and that was enough. The traction was amazing even though we ran into a bunch of wet sandy soil at just about every obstacle. We took more video than pictures on this run.
    4872fph.jpg
    2vafcev.jpg
    4c2bsq9.jpg

Day Three
    We decided to get a later start going home so we could make one last trail ride. We decided on Gemini Bridges. The early morning sun made the shelf road at the beginning of trail a bit more scary. There’s nothing like getting blinded by the sun after taking a turn or cresting a small rise when you’re about 18” from the edge of the road. It was slow going at best. The remainder of the drive was uneventful, except for the scenery.
    43niyj7.jpg
    2yjwql1.jpg
    484d2rn.jpg

I promised my daughter that we’d go back through Arches National Park before heading home. I’m sure glad we went.
    2zovrjl.jpg
    2pqn70i.jpg
    40mp6xz.jpg
    29ompp4.jpg

We're looking forward to next year!!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    Absolutley beautiful scenery! But I think your crazy for driving all around it.

It would give me a heart attack!:eek: :eek: :eek:

It was bad enough when my freind took us the back way into Old Tuscon! One minute we were flat on the ground the next we were up in mountains with NO room for error!

I was holding on for dear life & she was cracking up laughing talking about how much she loved doing this to newbies to AZ!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
    cfrizz wrote:
    But I think your crazy for driving all around it.

It would give me a heart attack!:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Wait till I get the videos edited and posted.:D
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2006
    Frank Z wrote:
    I can't!! Are you still posting any vids to your myspace profile? If so, I'll have to check those out.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited October 2006
    Frank Z wrote:

Post those vids please! I'd love to go to Moab some time. I don't wheel, but walking and seeing what you can would be amazing.
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited October 2006
    Looks great Frank! Makes me wish I still had my Jeep.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited October 2006
    In a word, WOW. I went to grad school (early 80's) at Arizona State U and did a fair amount of traveling around the SW. Moab and vicinity was one of my favorite spots (Arches, Monument Valley, Deadhorse Pt and lots of other spectacular areas). What I always loved was to see how the colors change throughout the day at the same spot. The low sun angles make such a difference in bringing out the color and clarity of the arid scenery.

I never was able (had the time/ability) to get too far off the typical visitor trails or do any off roading. Man that looks like an f'n blast. Wonderful to see you doing this with your kids. I really wanted to get back out there when I was hot into mountain biking about 10 yrs ago since it became the m'biking mecca of the western world. I'm afraid my lungs and legs wouldn't stand up to that now though.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited October 2006
    One word Frank, COOL!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2006
    I am so jealous!!

Moab was always my favorite trail and I always wanted to run it but never got the chance.

Im also quite jealous of that XJ. When I bought my beloved Dodge in 2002 they no longer made the XJ's. If they did I would own one right now! Plenty of room, comfort, power and pretty much unequaled ability!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited October 2006
    Very nice pic's! The scenery in the West is awesome. You can almost hear John Wayne say "The hell I won't!"
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    That scenery is more breath-taking than the tasteful babe thread!!! :o

Well right at the moment:confused:

Thanks sooooo much for those beautiful pictures it almost looks like I can reach and touch.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2006
    Frank those are spectacular pics.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
    I've been a fan of Black and White photos for a long time, even did my own processing from time to time, so I thought I'd post one of my favorites from the trip.

40cuceh.jpg
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
    Thanks to all for the kind words! I wish the pictures did justice to the awesome beauty we saw. My wife and I both agree that we took some good pictures, but they still don't convey the true beauty we found in and around Moab.
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2006
    schwarcw wrote:
    Very nice pic's! The scenery in the West is awesome. You can almost hear John Wayne say "The hell I won't!"

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

"Get your **** out of my tent!"
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2006
    Utah is a breathtakingly beautiful state. The few months I was a trucker I saw all lower 48 and Utah was by far the most beautiful. It was purple!

• Frank Z
    edited October 2006
    While there are some great places in Utah, the drive out from Grand Juction, CO to Cresent Juntion, UT was ugly. No other way to describe it. Zero color, just grey everywhere you looked.
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    Great!!! Stupendous! Just plain awesome! I especially liked the last 15 seconds of part II watching the tires split. I bet it is a real thrill negotiating those rocks and non-roads and the breath-taking sites that could never been seen by air.
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2006
    Very awesome movies!! Looks like that'd be tons of fun, not to mention the beautiful scenery. What was the song playing in the first movie?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2006
    Oooh, and what's the song in the third movie? I like that one, too.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    What was the song playing in the first movie?
    Surrender by The Call, the album is "Let the Day Begin."
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2006
    Early on Tuesday
    Jesse Cook
    Nomad