He dove on a granade.

Thats a hero.
Skynut
SOPA® Founder
The system Almost there
DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
Sunfire Theater Grand II
Sherbourn 7/2100
Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
Sur FX1000
SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
Thanks for looking
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited October 2006
    I see from the article that he had already been awarded the Silver Star for pulling a wounded comrade to safety while under intense fire.

One tough SOB; apparently lived with a code of duty and honor. He certainly died by it.
    Sal Palooza
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited October 2006
    That is dedication!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2006
    This was a brave soldier from a proud family of soldiers. Be sure to read the discussions linked to that article.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    He was a true hero in every sense of the word. I sometimes wonder if I would have that same dedication if the decision came down to me dying and saving others or me saving myself. I like to think that I would be more concerned with others.

Jesus said, "there is no greater love than a man laying down his life for his friends."
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited October 2006
    I also wonder if I could do it.
    Self preservation is a strong emotion. I like to think I would do the same but I (hopefully) will never get the chance.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2006
    Those are special guys -- that's all I can say. My best friend is a Navy SEAL in active duty. The stuff they go through to become a SEAL is amazing, and just plain nuts. My hats off to all of them, and this was one selfless individual to give himself for the sake of possibly saving many others. Can't imagine that.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2006
    I don't know if I could have covered it with my body, I probably would have tried to kick it or pick it up and throw it and got everybody killed. Hats off to Michael Monsoor.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited October 2006
    Now THAT takes courage...

I get so sick of sports' announcers over-using that word to describe someone playing a game..."Terell Owens showed a lot of courage playing with a broken finger"..please..:rolleyes:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2006
    my hats off to all our armed forces. Just goes to show how dedicated and courageous our soldiers really are.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2006
    You'd be amazed at what you're capable of, when the time comes...trust me. In combat, every soldier is your brother.

A little unrelated, but the same scenario; A very close friend of mine who lost his wife in a car accident once said to me: "I used to be afraid of death, now I'm afraid of life (without her)." I'll never forget those words. A year later he decided he couldn't wait for death anymore, and killed himself. I forgive him, his wife was his world--I can relate.

I think sometimes it's easier to die, than to have to live through someone elses death.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited October 2006
    "I used to be afraid of death, now I'm afraid of life (without her)." I'll never forget those words. A year later he decided he couldn't wait for death anymore, and killed himself. I forgive him, his wife was his world--I can relate.

Wow...that put a lump in my throat. Thanks for sharing
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2006
    steveinaz wrote:
    You'd be amazed at what you're capable of, when the time comes...trust me. In combat, every soldier is your brother.

A little unrelated, but the same scenario; A very close friend of mine who lost his wife in a car accident once said to me: "I used to be afraid of death, now I'm afraid of life (without her)." I'll never forget those words. A year later he decided he couldn't wait for death anymore, and killed himself. I forgive him, his wife was his world--I can relate.

I think sometimes it's easier to die, than to have to live through someone elses death.
    a close friend of mine died in a car wreck, he was 21. A little less than a year later his dad committed suicide. Left behind his wife...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    a close friend of mine died in a car wreck, he was 21. A little less than a year later his dad committed suicide. Left behind his wife...
    -Cody

Yep, you'll always leave someone behind in suicide. It's a selfish act through and through -- no matter how profound the reasoning. Sorry for your friend. :(
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited October 2006
    Suicide sucks, my neighbors brother just did that and now my neighbor is depressed about it. It affects those who are close to you worse than dying a hero would.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor died to save his comrades and that is valiant.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited October 2006
    They said on the radio a witness said as soon as it landed he just dove, no thought or hesitation. This was a guy born with natural courage. You can't teach people that not even in the seals.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2006
    That NAVY seal is a big time HERO.What a constrast to the cowardly insurgents they are dealing with.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. What Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor did was the most unselfish, loving act a man (or woman) could do. I wish I could have met him.