Houston craigslist: Carver Amazing Loudspeakers Platinum Mk IV Speakers - $900

Options
candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited October 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
These would be mine if I had the room. I auditioned them twice and they are indeed magical. I can't say I like them better than Polks without a side by side comparison. He also has a nice pair of real wood 2b's and a pair of monitor 10's. No affil. He is busy during the day so you may not get a reply or phone response until the evening.

http://houston.craigslist.org/ele/220843442.html
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Can anyone in the area pick these up for me and hold them for a bit till I get there?

RT1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited October 2006
    Options
    You should check with the guy about the refoam job. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't anyone that has the proper surrounds.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• candyliquor35m
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Can anyone in the area pick these up for me and hold them for a bit till I get there?

RT1

I'll be glad to hold them as long as you don't mind me hooking them to see how they sound on my rig or unless someone with more room wants to.

I didn't look at the refoam job but it's just 6 or 8 screws I think to remove the grills and it's not that far to go look at them and take pics if I remember to take my camera :o or the guy looks like he has a good camera if you want more pics. He's a honest guy. He let me bring my own amp and speaker wire over to audition them.

Carl
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2006
    Options
    can you still get the replacement drivers from orevox?

I thought refoam was a remote possibility, but with the orevox replacements, one would be silly to do so (hence the reason why I got 10 replacements when I had my foam issues, 8 + 2 spares)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • F1nut
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yep, Dynavox sells the replacements....about $35.00 a pop.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Carl,

If you would like to check them out for me, I would be interested, well, more than interested as would another eastcoaster I know of.

Ted
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Carl,

Just so you know, be careful when you remove those screws, it takes two people one has to hold onto the cloth cover and frame as they can give way and rip a screw down the front. I sent him an e-mail and yes some pics would be outstanding.

RT1
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2006
    Options
    anything with those damn things requires two people.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2006
    Options
    including picking them up!!!!!!!!! Road Trip

RT1
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2006
    Options
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I spoke with the owner last night, we struck a tentative deal pending some photo's of the surrounds and of course Carl holding them until I can get to Houston.

RT1
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2006
    Options
    If Carl can't, I will...

Carl, if you'd just like a hand moving them, let me know...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Carl if Tour and you don't hook up, I can help move them too.

[Edit] Or, I can help also...
  • candyliquor35m
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    If Carl can't, I will...

Carl, if you'd just like a hand moving them, let me know...

Just when I was looking forward to a free in home demo :o . Actually if Tour has more room for them, that would be the way to go. I can move things around a bit and make room for them which is easy enough to do but I also have a energetic 5 year old running around here half the time and a cat which has it's own scratching post but I would hate for anything to happen to them. I can store them, help transport them or whatever the best approach is.

This may turn turn into a mini-polkfest in April when RT mentioned coming to get them. Thanks Dave, I would definitely need help with them.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Its going to be a definete party and I am going to owe all of you.

Thanks for the help guys and shows how the great the club is. Little ones dont bother me in the least, heck my grandson was rocking with me in the shed earlier today. He calls it poppi's music room!!! Gotta love 4-year olds.

OK, well I am going to send the dough to Gary next week when he gets it they will need to get picked up, so someone please call me. If Tour has more space that is fine. If Carl want to use them first that is fine.

RT1
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2006
    Options
    With original CA's and Plat's in da house, I'd only be a couple pair shy of the dude in Maine (?) that called on GG a while back. Would make me wish I had a quad TT rig... :D ...

Carl, Dave,

Spoke with seller and RT1 a bit ago. Tuesday or Wednesday evening looks to be the best timing.

I will send PM with my local info, so we can time up, see who has the most suitable vehicle, etc. I have a pick-up and lumber to make braces, but if either of you have a van, that would be better.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2006
    Options
    This thread wins for Polk Teamwork

Good luck
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2006
    Options
    ^Just one of many, many examples... Russman, F1Nut among others have picked up speakers for me in the past. Club Polk's version of paying it forward... without the knife wounds...

Dave,
    Spoke to Carl and he'll contact you tonite about pooling over to seller's home.

All,
    Look's like Tuesday night is best bet weather-wise. Seller says any time after 5:00 PM works for him.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I don't own a van ... I have a short-box Toyaot Tacoma pre-runner - the four door thingy. It's red and has the factory stereo, so maybe not so desirable to travel in... But, I have no problem driving if it holds better than the Pathfinder.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I have an F150, so the Pick-Up option is settled. Assuming you and Carl car pool, I'll leave it to and he to decide what to drive to seller's place, but Carl's Pathfinder offer the only covered option...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Any of you heard of the telephone?

President of Club Polk

• candyliquor35m
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Phones cost money. I still have dial-up and no cable. Go ahead call me a redneck.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2006
    Options
    They do have flat rate plans that include unlimited long distance calls at no extra charge.

President of Club Polk

• candyliquor35m
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I don't know if I'm a redneck but I try to be as frugal as possible. My home phone is $20 which from what I hear is so hard to get it's like trying to cancel your aol. It's basically a data line with no calling plan or extra features. T-Mobile recently offered a free upgrade to nationwide long distance for the same price. Before I only had free long distance to 6 states and some people had no free long distance. The upgrade might still be available if any of you have t-mobile.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hey Jesse,

Pick up went smoothly. Made some kick-**** brackets for the bed of the truck.

Just thought you'd like to know... :p
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• reeltrouble1
    edited October 2006
    Options
    excellent. just got off the phone with Gary, he was amazed at the help CP members lend to each other. fantastic.

RT1