Sweet Harddrive deal

Options
Strong Bad
Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Definitely have to grab myself one of these and throw it in the USB case. Can't beat Seagate's 5 year warranty.

http://www.frys.com/product/4596287

John
No excuses!
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2006
    Options
    You do not hear as much about Seagate as years ago. I remember when their HD's were the best.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,256
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Too bad its not SATA. That's what I'm looking for. Fry's/Outpost has a deal on a Maxtor 300GB SATA for $80, but Maxtor only has the 1 year warranty. I'll just hold out.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hmm, not too shabby.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Is SATA faster? If not, why's it matter if the price/warranty is 5x the others?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited October 2006
    Options
    SATA has a max transfer rate of 3gbs (GB per second) and a min of 1.5gbps compared to PATA at 133mbps (MB per second). Thats a hell of a difference but this hdd is still a steal
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • brettw22
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Little video on Perpendicular storage......cheesy, but explanatory.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/research/recording_head/pr/PerpendicularAnimation.html

Also, if this is for an external storage drive, and the internal that you currently has is not SATA, you won't get those transfer rates either way.
  • ledhed
    edited October 2006
    Options
    You can do external SATA, I am right now. You just need a maybe 20$ controller card
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • brettw22
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Right..........I was just saying that if you're wanting to transfer data from an internal IDE drive to an external SATA drive, you're not going to get 3gb rates because the data is coming from a NON-sata drive.

How that's all affected by a usb external connection would likely bring it down quite a bit as well.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2006
    Options
    So what kind of USB box could I put this thing in? Now that I'm wireless in house, I wouldn't mind an extra storage drive for the Vaio.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • brettw22
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Go to Fry's and get one that's at least usb2.0 or a network kit. I tried the network one once and it was a little different. I picked up an external drive case/setup for about $40-50. (cheaper obviously if you want to wait for an online purchase and can wait)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Right on Brett.

For external storage space, this HD and price rocks! I just need something to dump stuff on and store until I need to access it down the road. SATA speed is not critical in this case.
    No excuses!
  • brettw22
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Agreed. I have a non-sata external that i got a few years ago, but could be upsized so I might have to get an order on this one.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,256
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Actually, the reason I want SATA is because my motherboard has 4 empty SATA connectors available and I have one more drive bay available. I already have three PATA drives (2x120GB+80GB). No more PATA connectors available. I want a clean SATA to install Windows 64-bit and keep my PATA drives for storage. Its nice to have both when transferring large files because PATA to PATA transfers (on the same controller) are very slow.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Fry's also has a Seagate 300GB EXTERNAL HD for around $140 and you don't have to do anything but pluger in.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • brettw22
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Just called Seagate and they indicated that the drive posted by strong does NOT have Perpendicular recording.........just fyi.

Also, if that's a requirement, make sure the drive is 7200.10 rated to ensure that.
  • ledhed
    edited October 2006
    Options
    If looking for an external case and your computer has firewire, definitely get a firewire case. The speed difference is astronomical, may not be in the sheer numbers on paper but you can definitely tell a difference.
  • brettw22
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Firewire isn't as fast as usb2.0 if i remember correctly........right?
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited October 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    Firewire isn't as fast as usb2.0 if i remember correctly........right?
    There is Firewire 400 which is 400mbps, and then on Apple's there is Firewire 800 which is 800mbps. USB 2.0 is 408mbps.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • ledhed
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Firewire is consistent 400 whereas USB can fluctuate anywhere up to 480. And mutelight, Firewire 800, which is available for PC but all the tech is expensive.

I was doing some editing on someone else's comp so I brought my external drive (Firewire and USB) with the video files on it and their USB just absolutely killed it, it was impossible to even shuffle through the video files through USB but just fine through Firewire.

The great thing about SATA external is that it is the same as having SATA internal so the drive is not seen as an extension and there are no drivers or connection problems to worry about