New Polk Subs?

Options
mark g. nelson
mark g. nelson Posts: 134
edited July 2002 in Speakers
I see that Crutchfield and CC have both lowered the prices on all the current Polk subs. 650's at my local CC were $499 this weekend. 450's $349.

Hopefully this means new Products. I would like to see something that will out do my 1200. But in a smaller package.
Post edited by mark g. nelson on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Not much will outdo your 1200 - a shame Polk killed it.

Big bass means either: 1) a large properly tuned enclosure; or 2) a smaller enclosure with major equalization and huge wattage requirements (ala Bob Carver's subs and their various clones).

I'll stick with a big enclosure any day, but both methods have their fans.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mark g. nelson
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Guy's ,
    Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't give up my 1200. People have tried to get it from me. My family room system is perfect with the 1200.
    I just hope the new stuff is better, and there is something to compare to the 1200. I would like something smaller ( maybe SunFire) for my Theater room I'm building. I guess when the time comes demo's will be numerous.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I heard that Polk is releasing an updated, higher performance PSW650 that should be more in line with the LSi line. We shall see.

Aaron
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I wondered if there was a new line coming out also, when I saw the Crutchfield prices. There is nothing in the computer system at my store at this point that would indictate a change.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Mark:

If you are considering a Sunfire, take a look at this sub review. This is not a review of a Sunfire sub, per se, BUT - I'm pretty certain (although not positive) that the "Brand X" comparison sub IS a Sunfire from the reviewer's description of it.

I thought the testing portion of the review was very informative and revealing and I hope it helps you make an informed decision.

Doc

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/svs-cs-ultra-subwoofers-5-2002.html
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mark g. nelson
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the info.