1,000th Post Karma

Options
I-SIG
I-SIG Posts: 2,238
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Since this is my 1000th post, here's a little karma offering:

NEC CD-601

This is the external CD-ROM that Zero (Sean) spoke a a few years ago that I actually went out and found. It was definitive proof that even a transport makes a noticeable difference and that bits aren't bits after all. It is a bit finicky on the CD's it plays, say 5-10%, but otherwise is a nice piece to pair with an external DAC. It's internal DAC's are okay too. A little thin in the mids, but smooth on top so it would probably mate with a bright system well. This is compared to a Benchmark and Bel Canto, FWIW.

Just post something about how the Falcons are gonna take it all this season and state if you actually are interested. I'll do a drawing or whatever in 5-7 days.

Thanks!

Wes
Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hmm. I'm not too fond of any of the Ford Faclons I've seen. But the Millennium Falcon would be a great ride. ;)

I'm interested! Would be neat to compare to what is supposedly a good CDP. I need a source for my 'second' system, too.

Thanks!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hell Freakin' Yeah the Falcons are going to take it all this season!!!! Once we get Abraham in the mix, our defense will be a sight for sore eyes. This one's for Chris Miller, Billie Joe Tolliver, Chris Chandler, and anyone else who couldn't lead us to the promised land....

Awesome awesome Karma!
    Congrats on your 1000th and "In Please"
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited October 2006
    Options
    In please. Um, how about the Falcons are going to take it because my Niners won't get in their way this year. Or next year, or the year after that, or...
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2006
    Options
    The Maltese Falcon ?

I'm not in, and that's probably a good thing.

From what I understand, I've heard the Atlanta Falcons football franchise is going to fold, and all the players are going on the road in a transvestite burlesque review !

:rolleyes:
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    Options
    In please, I've been looking for a good transport to match to my Timbre DAC to fill the CDP hole in my front end. It would save me from spending the $600 to $1000 I have budgeted for a CDP or Transport.

I think the Eagles are going to help the Falcons "take it all" in the last game of the season but I think they are going to take it all in the other "end.":eek: ;):D

Thanks for being so generous.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I don't follow football but falcons are one hell of a bird of prey.
    In please.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited October 2006
    Options
    In please great karma!
    The falcons are not my team but they look good this year. Really good.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I like The Brooklyn Dodgers this year Wes, and I can't believe you've only 1,000 posts. Nice gesture man. Not in.
  • I-SIG
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I like The Brooklyn Dodgers this year Wes, and I can't believe you've only 1,000 posts. Nice gesture man. Not in.

Thanks, George. I read almost everyday and occasionally take a few weeks off, but the main thing is that I don't post to see myself post. :)

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Your Falcons are named after a bird of prey so they will feel the hunger to attack and thrive this season. My CDP is 21 years old and I've been wanting to get my ears on something else.
  • I-SIG
    edited October 2006
    Options
    bump for free stuff!

Wes

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,523
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Congrats on 1000 Wes-man!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • I-SIG
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I'll do the drawing tonight! Good luck everyone!

Wes

• I-SIG
    edited October 2006
    Options
    In please, I've been looking for a good transport to match to my Timbre DAC to fill the CDP hole in my front end. It would save me from spending the $600 to $1000 I have budgeted for a CDP or Transport.

I think the Eagles are going to help the Falcons "take it all" in the last game of the season but I think they are going to take it all in the other "end.":eek: ;):D

Thanks for being so generous.

You are it my friend! I used the trusty random number generator (a la steveinaz) and it gave me a 4 and you are the 4th post to say you wanted in.

Congrats! PM inbound...

Wes

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Congrats, hearingimpared! Perhaps this will solve your transport delima!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Congrats!!

DAMN I really wanted this....

Again, awesome Karma Wes!
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thanks for being so generous Wes! I think I am on a little winning streak, last week I won a runner up karma in the banner karma from Rich (SCompRacer).

Thanks again so much,
    Joe
  • I-SIG
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thanks for particpating everyone.

Joe,
    I got the PM and I'll get something out later in the week.

Wes

• hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thanks again WES!!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hey Wes,

I received the CD-ROM yesterday. WOW what a great pack job!!! It took me quite a while and a lot of patience to unwrap it. Thanks so much for a great kharma.

You kept saying that you felt the unit was a little finicky with CDs. Well I was at Phil's (pearsal001) house last night listening to some tunes and of course swapping out equipment and he told me about a tweak he purchased for CD stabilization and overall sonic improvement.

Click this link for more info: http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMAR3DSIGNATURE

I can tell you this little gem made a dramatic improvement in sound quality. I think if I purchase it and use it in the CD-ROM it may make the unit less finicky.

Thanks again for the unit.

Sincerely,
    Joe

PS: Phil's AAD 2001 speakers just completely blew me away. . . I'm going to start a new thread on that topic.
  • I-SIG
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Joe,

Glad it made it safe and sound!! (no pun intended) Have you ran into any CD's it didn't want to play yet? I can name off a few here:

John Mayer "Room for Squares"
    The Doors single CD greatest hits
    Trapt debut album
    Sarah Mclaughlin "AfterGlow Live"

I'm not sure how it will work with the little caddy system the CD-ROM uses, but give it a try!

Did you actually hook it up yesterday? More please! :)

Wes

• hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I-SIG wrote:
    Joe,

Glad it made it safe and sound!! (no pun intended) Have you ran into any CD's it didn't want to play yet? I can name off a few here:

John Mayer "Room for Squares"
    The Doors single CD greatest hits
    Trapt debut album
    Sarah Mclaughlin "AfterGlow Live"

I'm not sure how it will work with the little caddy system the CD-ROM uses, but give it a try!

Did you actually hook it up yesterday? More please! :)

Wes

I actually brought it with me to Phil's house with me last night (see thread below)

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45434

but we got so into the Timbre DAC & Spectral Preamp that we never got around to hooking it up. The next time I go over I want to try it with the DAC and the Marigo 3-D stabilizer mat, check this out Wes:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMAR3DSIGNATURE

I wrote my experience with the mat on the first thread above.

I hope the CD ROM performs, it will free up money budgeted for a CD Transport.

Thanks again Wes!!!