what speakers fit my car ?

dizzeyhead
dizzeyhead Posts: 3
edited October 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
can someone help me out ? I want to add some components to my car thinking about mouting them in the side door panels . I own a 1993 acura integra 2 door gs . I heard the polk db 6.25 at circuit city and was very impressed the salesman told me I needed the 5.25 but I also used a internet source that stated they wont fit ? who is correct? also I would like to add an amp should I add a four channel or two channel what is the differnce ? new to all this and am working with a budget of around
$400 dollars
Post edited by dizzeyhead on

Comments

• Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited October 2006
    Heya Dizz, welcome to Club Polk! To get to your questions, you should be able to mount either 5.25's or 6.5's according to what I've found online. I would go with the larger of the two personally, a bit more kick for your ears. Also i would say a 4 channel would serve you best, if you choose to upgrade your rear speakers (which you should so you have a timbre matched set) you will be prepared with the amplification.

I've have always been an Alpine h/u and mid/high amp fan (i miss the old dc series), not so much their speakers or "bass" amps. You should be able to find some great deals on the smaller mrv series amps. Or whichever you choose as long as it isnt some off the wall no name flea market brand (see Audiobahn, yeck) you will be fine. Also dont pay too much attention with the wattage measurements, I've rarely ran more than a 50x4 for my mids and highs, and at a time they had to hold up against 4 L7 15's in a blazer with about 2000 watts of US Amps behind them. So no worries about powering them.

I would expect you already have an aftermarket head unit installed, if not that would be my first move. If so go grab your speakers and an amp and enjoy some music.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2006
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dizzeyhead
    edited October 2006
    Hey,
    thanks for the info mcleod I dont think ill put rear speakers in just beacuse the car has 212.ooo mi . the body is in great shape and all the other stuff looks good, I am thinking a two channel say 100 watts amp that should do?
  • dizzeyhead
    edited October 2006
    looking for a amp came across some mono amps for sale on ebay what makes
    these differnt from 2 and 4 channel amps?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2006
    Those are made to run subwoofers. Class D amps are a lot more effecient and can make more power given less input voltage and overall size. But these usually dont play above 200 Hz.

For mids/highs, stick with a 2 or 4 channel amp.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D