speaker selection help

tsewell83
tsewell83 Posts: 3
edited October 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am currently planning on upgrading the speakers in my explorer. I know virtually nothing about car audio so I am not sure which direction to go. I almost certain I want to install the 5250's up front but I dont know about the rear speakers? Should components be installed in the back as well or would a 2-way speaker suffice. I want quality sound which is the reason for the front speaker selection but I didnt know if not using components in the back would make a noticable difference. Any advice anyone could give me would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Post edited by tsewell83 on

Comments

• killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited October 2006
    i personally dont like to use speakers in the rear. it tends to pull the image to the back. if your going to do it just put mids there, no tweeters.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • tsewell83
    tsewell83 Posts: 3
    edited October 2006
    If having a tweeter in the rear will pull the imaging to the back which speaker would you recommend for the rear. Right now I am thinking of installing the MMc5250's up front, an Infinity Reference 7541 amp, and I still do not know what to use in the rear. The two way speakers have obviously have tweeter in them (I know as much as an 8 year old haha) so what would be a choice for the rear?
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited October 2006
    just get a midrange driver and put back there. but if i were you i wouldnt put anything back there, it will sound just as good.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2006
    The tweeter wont matter because itll be point to the rear anyway or at least across the car. Since tweet's frequencies are so directional, they wont have enough intensity to pull the stage to the rear any.

For the best SQ, front speakers only are the way to go. However if you want to have speakers in the rear for passengers or just want the added sound of 4 speakers, thats ok.

As for which speaker, just get whichever Momo coaxial that will fit in the stock mounting locations.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D