ok i got a really stupid question...

2000AccordSE
2000AccordSE Posts: 34
edited October 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
i dunno y i thought of this but can u buy a car to ac adapter and use home audio stuff in ur car and have it sound good? i saw those in ceiling speakers an i just started wondering. lol i know this is a dumb idea but i mean i got a ac adapter and some home audio speakers already
Post edited by 2000AccordSE on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2006
    Please return your drivers license to your local registry at once and continue to use your bicycle.

Thanks.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited October 2006
    holy ****.......unless you're 5, you have no right to ask something that stupid......I have a quiz you might be interested in.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited October 2006
    Please return your drivers license to your local registry at once and continue to use your bicycle.
    So is it true that if you don't use it, you lose it? :D
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • dash
    dash Posts: 17
    edited October 2006
    Home audio in a vehicle? Well, back in the day(about 1976), Bose had just brought out their 301's, and we thought it would be a good idea to slam a few pair into a converted school bus we used for partying. They sounded great.....the only problem was, whenever we hit a pothole, the record would skip, and we went through about 4 new cartridges a month.....damn Oracle for their inferior products.

HAHAHA.....sorry dude, I'm just funnin ya.....we didnt have potholes back then.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited October 2006
    It's a great idea (if you have a 70's van, complete with those acrylic porthole windows and the corresponding princess-warrior murals airbrushed on the sides).

I fondly remember a buddy thinking his Wharfdale Diamonds sounded great propped in the rear seat of his '67 'Stang droptop. To be fair, they were an improvement over the 6X9s he was running "free air" laid on top of the lowered convertible top behind the seat.

You probably shouldn't defile a car as nice as an Accord with a makeshift home audio conversion. I'd vote "no".
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited October 2006
    You can have a very good sounding audio system in a car without relying on gear that is made for you home.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 2000AccordSE
    2000AccordSE Posts: 34
    edited October 2006
    lol i wasnt all that serious but i was mainly wondering what makes them different? i know there is a difference and i was told it b4 but i 4get. but really what would b the difference between using home audio speakers wired to all home audio stuff than car audio?i just wanna know what the dirfference is, im not planning on trying it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited October 2006
    For one, car speakers are made to take the abuse that they will encounter in the mobile environment.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited October 2006
    lol i wasnt all that serious but i was mainly wondering what makes them different? i know there is a difference and i was told it b4 but i 4get. but really what would b the difference between using home audio speakers wired to all home audio stuff than car audio?i just wanna know what the dirfference is, im not planning on trying it

The HT guys could correct me if I'm way off track, but most home audio speakers are rated at 8 ohms impedance. Most 12V speakers are 4 ohms (and some are 2, 1, etc. depending on voice coil configuration). Connecting an 8 ohm speaker to a typical car audio power source (head unit or amplifier) will only get you 1/2 the rated power and as a result less overall volume.

Plus, the typical woodgrain home speaker cabinets don't blend very well with most car interiors ;) .
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited October 2006
    the typical woodgrain home speaker cabinets don't blend very well with most car interiors ;) .

Unless it's one of those high end sedans with woodgrain interior! :p
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited October 2006
    dash wrote:
    Bose had just brought out their 301's, and we thought it would be a good idea to slam a few pair into a converted school bus we used for partying. They sounded great.....

I know this post is tongue in cheek because 301's don't even sound good IN a house! :D