db5250 cut off freqs?

Impact9
Impact9 Posts: 11
edited October 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have the Polk Audio db5250 speakers installed in the front of my 2004 F150 supercrew and I'm running them off a JLB GTO755.6 II (60W rms X 4 + 107W rms X 2) Amp. I'm not currently using the amps crossover just my headunits. Which is a Pioneer DEH-P7800MP. I can't seem to find a good High Pass frequency for these speakers. For example I play country and it sounds fine set at 125hz I play techno and I have to adjust the cut off higher.

Anyways if I was pumping full power and full range audio to these speakers what would be the best high pass cut off frequency for these 5.25" components?

Thanks,

Dory
Post edited by Impact9 on

Comments

• hondahirny
    hondahirny Posts: 19
    edited October 2006
    From my experiences listening to country (okay, Garth Brooks really), there doesn't seem to be all that much bass to it. You can tell i'm a true country fan :D

125Hz should be well in the ballpark. The speakers you have have a range of 53Hz to 23kHz. Having them hi-passed at 125 or so should be alright.

It doesn't seem like you have an issue with your system, only perhaps a difference in how you like your different styles of music. Music with more bass will more quickly overdrive your small speakers, so you may want to use a different EQ preset. You should be able to leave your filter at 125 and use different EQ's (with different bass levels) for each music type. This would offer you the sound that you like, for both music types. On most decks, choosing a different EQ setting is easier that going into the menu and messing with HPF settings, etc. My deck offers adjustable presets for rock, club, jazz, etc... Yours should have something similar. Try that and see how it works out.

In addition to the above, you mention running your speakers "full range." That would imply that you're not using any filter, but applying all frequencies to the speakers. I've done that for many years and it works okay, as long as you don't expect to get subwoofer performance from a 5" speaker. Usually, running them full range will require turning down the bass level on your equalizer for those times when you want to play them really loud. Changing your EQ, along with the high pass filter will impact how much low frequency content makes it to the speaker and how much you'll be beating on those woofers.

I've been able to tweak my system to produce what i condsider good sound, without having to continuously play with the settings. If you tend to be more picky in how you like your music, programming your EQ profiles for the variations in your favorite music would be the way to go.
    1999 Honda Civic LX - 105 gerbils at the flywheel!
    Sony CDX-GT100 Head Unit
    Rockford something or other 6.5" in the front. I'm taking donations for MMC6500's!
    Polk Momo MMC690 6x9's in rear
    Polk Momo c300.2 amp via 4ga. and a 1.5 Farad stiffy :eek:
    Polk db804 8" Subs x 2, in sealed box.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2006
    125 seems a little high to me. Are you running a sub?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Impact9
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I am running a polk 10" momo. Here's my setup:

Front Door - Polk db5250's HP 125hz
    Rear Door - Infinity 6812cf HP 100hz
    Sub - Polk MM 2104 LP 100hz

I don't run the db5250's full range they can't handle that at any higher volumes.

MacLeod- some music say Hip Hop, I adjust the 5250's HP down to 100hz maybe 80hz but when I'm pushing say 50% volume the speaker distorts cause it's getting too much bass.

I ordered a set of Polk MMC650's to replace my db5250's which will go into Q-Forms kick panels later on powered by a more powerful amp soon as I figure out the correct way to run 4 components in the front.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited October 2006
    I think you will be missing a good deal of musical information if you cross them over at that frequqency. Try something lower, like 80Hz. When I had my Pioneer units I never used the preset EQ curves as they were too boosted.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Impact9
    edited October 2006
    I'll try that. I drop the gains down too hopefully it'll handle this range.
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited October 2006
    you can go 80hz with no problem.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage