DIY speaker stands

Options
Midnite Mick
Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
edited August 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Anybody build any wooden surround speaker stands? I plan on starting some in the next few weeks (when my speakers are done) and am looking for design ideas. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Consonance cd120T
Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
Post edited by Midnite Mick on

Comments

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I have. I used PVC as the support, two 2.5" pipes I believe. I had plans to fill the pipes with sand but haven't gotten around to it. I'll try and dig up a link to the pics I posted
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • ledhed
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Here is the link. Like suggested in the post, I would run a smaller pipe down the back so you could hide wire. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=348560#post348560
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Midnite Mick
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I was hoping to do something more interesting however. This may be more of what I am looking for but I am still up for suggestions.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachment.php4?attachmentid=6359
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachment.php4?attachmentid=6360
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachment.php4?attachmentid=6362

Thanks again,
    Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

• Moreants
    Moreants Posts: 70
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Some of my DIY stands.
    I remember when 'broadband' meant The Go-Go's.
  • Midnite Mick
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I had actually printed off the last one as an idea that I had seen on the HT guide forum. I think that the third one may be simpler however. Can you please give me more information ie. material thickness, what is the vertical cross piece between the "uprights" and any other information you could provide.

Also I am planning on using these for rear surrounds so I am going to make them 4-5 ft. tall. I may have to alter the measurement in order to increase stability, or double up on the base piece, etc.

Thank you,
    Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• Moreants
    Moreants Posts: 70
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I had actually printed off the last one as an idea that I had seen on the HT guide forum. I think that the third one may be simpler however. Can you please give me more information ie. material thickness, what is the vertical cross piece between the "uprights" and any other information you could provide.

Also I am planning on using these for rear surrounds so I am going to make them 4-5 ft. tall. I may have to alter the measurement in order to increase stability, or double up on the base piece, etc.

Thank you,
    Mike

The plastic vertical pieces I found at Lowes in the plumbing dept.. I think it is a cover for the baseboard. They came in 5' lengths and I believe were $9-10 each. I painted them with Rustoleum Hammered spray paint after lightly sanding and priming.

They are covering a 4" x 4" wooden fence post, also from Lowes, to which I applied self-stick black vinyl from PE.. The molding will practically snap on. Make sure you get the better quality posts though as they will be truer. I put a vertical thin trim piece towards the rear between the molding and post to keep the molding from buckling in. I used #10 brass wood screws with finish washers. These are cosmetic so only light pressure when **** them in to avoid a dimple.

An alternative to the wooden fence posts, which I've used before, would be the PVC hollow 4" x 4" posts which could be filled with sand, although you would have to be creative in mounting them to the base/top.

The base and top are 1/2" mdf with edge routed and painted black with satin poly coating.

What you can't see is a pvc pipe behind the column that is used for add'l support and to hide your speaker wire. At the very top and underneath the stand just gouge out a channel for the wire to come out. All the stands shown have this.

Hope that helps.
    I remember when 'broadband' meant The Go-Go's.
  • Midnite Mick
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time out to write that up to help me. Appreciated.

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Moreants wrote:
    Some of my DIY stands.

Those stands look amazing :o
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yeah those look pretty cool. Makes me want to start another project and redo my stands ;)
  • RickCh
    RickCh Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Ledhed what did you use to attach the pipe to the wood. I love the simplicity to your design and would appreciate a little more step
    by step instructions as think others would looking forward to your reply. You can e-mail me at rachnlt54@aim.com if that would be
    easier.

Thanks,
    Rick C.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Given that this thread is eight years old, I don't think you'll get step by step instructions. But I do think that most people who use PVC tend to use a threaded ready rod through the middle and washers on the top plate and base to secure them together. Probably with recessed cutouts for the PVC pipe.
  • ledhed
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Wow, old stuff... Got an email and figured I'd check it out.

Like Michael guessed, I used all-thread with female to female connections on both ends then used a counter sunk bolt through the wood top and bottom plates.

The stands are as simple as you can get, really. I made these things in high school but they're still going strong even after being through 7 moves.

Each stand is comprised of three pieces of plywood, quarter round trim, PVC pipe, and all-thread with matching hardware.

The bottom plate is two pieces of plywood (screwed together from the bottom) with holes matching the diameter of pipe drilled through the top of the bottom plate.

Top plate has a recessed hole matching the diameter as well so all the all-thread is really doing is keeping the stands tight and square.

Hope that helps!