RTA-12 restoration

Options
garcianc2003
garcianc2003 Posts: 20
edited October 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hello everybody. I ended up here a while back thanks to F1Nut, a fellow CARVER enthusiast. It is he who I blame for a most excellent journey in upgrading my system. About $35K later (mostly in construction), my home theatre is within a couple of weeks of opening its doors. To celebrate this momentous occassion, I would love nothing more than for my vintage RTA-12Cs to make a triumphant return at the head of the room.
Thanks to F1Nut's expert diagnosis and a tweeter replacement, they sound excellent. However, the cabinet finish is beginning to show the 20 years we have been together. The grilles need to be redone too. I bought a Polk CSI-5 center speaker in cherry finish and, although close, it would be nice if all three speakers matched exactly.

I am not the handiest of persons so, can anyone recommend someone in the Washington, DC, or southern Maryland area who would be able to recondition the cabinets?
Post edited by garcianc2003 on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

I sent you a PM with an alternative approach. The 12Cs are some of the finest of the Polk line.

Congrats on the new HT room!
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

I sent you a PM with an alternative approach. The 12Cs are some of the finest of the Polk line.

Congrats on the new HT room!

Can you share it with the rest of us that are interested?
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Congrats on your soon to be completed HT setup! Jesse is always helpful to many here. When you get everything setup, post some pic's so we can oogle your toys:D
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,848
    edited September 2006
    Options
    You're more than welcome, glad to hear of the happy outcome.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2006
    Options
    The absolute best I can think of would be Jesse, AKA the Wood Ninja. No kidding, I've seen his work...

I'd like to see your HT also...
  • shecht
    shecht Posts: 2
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Rather than restore I have a set of perfect condition RT12's for sale you can contact me here or call me at 704 236 4043
  • garcianc2003
    edited October 2006
    Options
    shecht wrote:
    Rather than restore I have a set of perfect condition RT12's for sale you can contact me here or call me at 704 236 4043
    This has been suggested to me already via some PMs and I am not sure I want to do that... yet. The restoration is for cosmetic reasons (read: WAF).

Now, if my wife told me that she was willing to spend money on speakers, under any other circumstances I would not be looking at another set of RTA-12s. So I don't know why I would consider that now.

I sincerely appreciate your suggestions. Thanks everyone.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2006
    Options
    That's from a forum "member", all of the month of October, ready to sell you something....just screams lame.

If you want to restore them, which is a project worth some valor, by all means do so. It's a great speaker and worth the time to invest a couple bucks.

F1 would be a perfect guide to your restoration, as that's what he does for a living...albeit in another format.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • garcianc2003
    edited October 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    Congrats on your soon to be completed HT setup! Jesse is always helpful to many here. When you get everything setup, post some pic's so we can oogle your toys:D
    Sorry about the fuzzy quality of the pictures and the lack of toys for your oogling pleasure. With the emphasis on the decor, you can guess who took the pictures... I consider them the WAF stamp of approval.

Here's a link to my humble home theatre project, version 0.9. I'll try to keep updating the photo album with more pictures of the toys.