blown speakers?

Options
bat078
bat078 Posts: 1
edited July 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
my polk EX352 5 1/4" speakers suddenly stopped working. I tried replacement speakers in my system so I know it is the speakers. I was not over driving them as my amp is only 25w a channel. I bought them at circuitcity last march and they said that polk does not replace speakers that are "blown". what is with that. why eles would you replace speakers? I hope that is not true as I hope I didn't pay as much as I did for 3 months of use. can anyone help me with this? I loved those speakers but will not get any more if they don't stand behind their product or is that just circuit city trying to get out? I don't know
Post edited by bat078 on

Comments

• MikeVB
    MikeVB Posts: 16
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I don't know what Polk's warranty is on those speakers but with only 25 watts going to them you could blow them up from distortion from too little wattage. Low wattage burns up more speakers than over wattage from what I understand.
    Were you playing them at high volume?
    Call Polk as ask them what to do.:)

Mike
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    Options
    MikeVB

You are exactly right....... Speaker damage occurs from under powered amp 100x more often than high output amps......We want to listen to our speaker loud and the under powered amp begins clipping and damages the speakers...... distortion or a clipping amp will kill you speakers!
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Nascarmann, WTF are you doing over here? Get back on your side of the fence, pronto.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Nascarmann, WTF are you doing over here? Get back on your side of the fence, pronto.

OK! Damn, can go anywhere without getting in trouble.
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!