DIY Help

Options
Vanhool
Vanhool Posts: 58
edited September 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Ok, I really want to start on a set of speaks, as building them is the reason i got into audio and HT. However, i have no idea what driver companies are good, or what is good wood to use, etc... I want to start out tryin my luck at a small bookshelf, something like the lsi7, but that may be really beyond me. Thanks for the help in advance:)
Van
Van

{HT, in the works}
Polk-M10
MTX-SW2
Pioneer-VSX-516-k
Post edited by Vanhool on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I've been wanting to build some speakers for a while. I've only ever done subs. I've read in many places that you should start with a sub, then work your way up to a two way speaker.

Unless you have access to test equipment you're better off building a kit or a proven design. The guys over at HT Guide DIY forum have posted quite a few designs that would be a great way of getting your feet wet. Also www.diycable.com has some good kits from Exodus Audio.

It is also recommended to read books such as the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook to really learn what is going on. It's not as easy as putting a box together and throwing some drivers in it.

As far as wood goes, use MDF and veneer if you want a finished hardwood look.

Get over to the HT Guide DIY forum and read, read, read. Those guys know their stuff!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Vanhool
    Vanhool Posts: 58
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Ya, I will, Thanks alot man. I will take a look at that site. I will look into building a sub. I need to get rid my mtx so...Thanks again.
    Van
    Van

{HT, in the works}
    Polk-M10
    MTX-SW2
    Pioneer-VSX-516-k
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I am very near completion of my Exodus 2641 kit. I agree with the above in that if you are just an average audio guy definately go with a kit. If you don't you may end up spending a lot more on better crossover parts and better drivers and end up with a poor sounding speaker. That would really suck.

The primary reason I chose the exodus kit is because I have heard that Usher tweeter and really liked it. It has a lot of detail, with that splashy sense of air. Hopefully, it will sound like that in the kit I am building.

I also ran the css midrange which is actually a full range driver straight from the amp and it really did sound incredible for a little 4 inch driver. I could see myself putting a few of those in an open baffle one day. It doesn't do the bottom end very well for obvious reasons but I thought the highs for a single driver were very good. It sounded very open....better than I thought it would for a 50 dollar driver. It helps though with nothing in the signal path so I don't expect it to sound as good in the actual kit.

Some other ones you may want to look at are Selah Audio, SEAS thor, and there was one on the Canadian west coast that I can't think of right now that use the same drivers as Kevin at DIY Cable. Audio Circle forum has these links. If you would like more info ask and I will try to help you.

Good luck,
    Mike

PS. don't be afraid of making a full size speaker as your first, just give yourself the necessary time
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote