Mounting an amp, need help!

Kschultz76
Kschultz76 Posts: 59
edited September 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all,
I'm trying to decide the best way to mount my amp in a 2003 Ford Explorer XLS 4 door. There is a large storage bin area behind the back seat with a removable lid where I want to install. Problem is there is no good flat surface to mount it to, and I want to reduce the holes I put through the floor of the body sheet metal to mount it. I have enough clearence to put in a piece of mounting matieral between 1/8" - 1/2" thick. I was thinking of simply using some nice birch plywood and covering it in carpet, but then I thought that a sheet of ABS plastic or something similiar might work too.

Has anyone out there mounted an amp in an Explorer and able to offer any suggestions? My amp is Hifonics ZX6400, roughly 18" long x 11" wide. Any input, suggestions, or ideas are welcomed!!

Thanks
Kevin
Post edited by Kschultz76 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2006
    Im not familiar with your car but from guessing Id say take either the plywood or ABS plasticand make a mounting plate and that should work fine.

Just make sure there is suffeceint ventilation for the amp or you could have problems.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D