Speakers for a 2003 Ford Explorer 4 door

Kschultz76
Kschultz76 Posts: 59
edited September 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi everyone,
It has been a loooooooooooooooong time since I have visited this forum. I recently had to purchase a new car, and got a 2003 Ford Explorer 4 door. Unfortuantely the stock sound is TERRIBLE and has to go!

I'm reusing my Kenwood MP8017 HU, and my Hifonics Zeus ZX6400 85x4 rms @ 4ohms amp.

I am looking at the Polk MOMO MMC570's and the Polk MOMO MMC525's. According to the Crutchfield "What fits my car", the 5x7s will fit the front doors, and with an adapter ring the 5.25s will fit front or rear doors. I assume that the 5x7s won't fit the rear doors because of the their mounting depth.

Has anyone ever installed either set in a similiar year Explorer? Can anyone confirm whether or not the 5x7s will fit the rear doors? From a sound quality perspective would it be ok for me to install the 5x7s up front and the 5.25s in the rear? Would it be better to put the 5.25s in all four doors?

I'd really appreciate any input, suggestions, or experience anyone can offer.

Thanks,
Kevin
Post edited by Kschultz76 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2006
    what kind of amp does 85x100?:D

If you dont mind a little trimming of metal, you can fit 6.5s in the front doors easily. Especially if you have enough clearance between the door panel to make a good sized spacer. For sq, that would be your best option
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Kschultz76
    Kschultz76 Posts: 59
    edited September 2006
    Oooops sorry about that 85x100 typo, I've gone back and corrected.

Thanks for the thought of the 6.5s Cody. Unforuantely at this time I'm looking to install speakers that will require no alteration of the vehicle or door panels.

I'd love to reuse my 6x9 EX series and 5.25 component EX series Polks I had in my old vehicle, but I'm not willing to make the alterations required to make them fit.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2006
    got ya. Well, with the right spacer/adapter, you can fit you 5.25" mid and tweeter in the stock 6x8 opening.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it