LSi15 modifications (also posted in 2-ch)

Options
dcgl22
dcgl22 Posts: 3
edited September 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I have a pair of LSi15's that I'm generally pleased with but would like to try a few (reversible) mods/tweaks to see if I can improve performance. Specifically, I'd like to bi-amp the speakers but not using the stock crossover frequencies/driver-combinations. If you remove the binding post jumpers from the stock LSi15 you have the ability to separately power the tweeter from the rest of the drivers (two, 5 1/4" and the one 8" LF driver). To me, this does not seem the most advantageous spectrum to separate for bi-amping. I would prefer to power the combination of the tweeter and the 5 1/4 inchers separately from the 8" LF. I want to experiment with a tube amp driving the mid/highs and a powerful solid stage amp driving the 8" LF below 150 Hz. To begin my quest I have pulled out the binding post/crossover assembly and combined the two inputs to the crossover to one set of binding posts. Now I want to remove the wires from the 8" speaker terminals and insulate the push-on terminals on the wire coming from the crossover so they cannot short while disconnected. Now, with new wiring I plan to connect the 8" driver directly to the now unused other pair of binding posts. I will use either an outboard electronic crossover or passive components to provide a new independent filter for the 8" driver.

My questions are:
1. Will having the low pass (150 Hz) section of the stock crossover unterminated cause any problems with the rest of the driver's performance?
2. Does anyone have a diagram/schematic of the stock LSi15 crossover? I'd like to see the component values for the 150 Hz low pass section for a possible outboard passive filter.

All this is reversible, in case it doesn't work out or I want to sell the speakers. This is my first post and any comments or help for you Polkies out there will be appreciated!