LS 90 Tweeter up grade/ MW7100VSMW7010

Options
Mrdude
Mrdude Posts: 9
edited September 2006 in Vintage Speakers
For my LS90 i had two questions

I was wondering if there was a way to up my teweeter from the SL6000 and if it would be worth it.

Also i am replacing one of my MW71000 (driver) with a MW7010 (driver) they are supposed to be the same but the specs on the LS90 say that it has a Frequnsy response down to 20 Hz while the RT12 were (the speaker that the 7010 comes with) has a resposne down to only 28 Hz.

Whats the deal with that. Is it becasue of the way the speaker box was desigined or what.
Post edited by Mrdude on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2006
    Options
    No need to upgrade the tweeters. They already sound as good as they should with good electronics in front of them. If anything, start upgrading the electronics. I don't know anything about the woofer question.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited September 2006
    Options
    In general, the larger the enclosure size the lower the frequency response. The ls90 has significantly more interior volume (in addition to a couple of extra drivers) so it should have lower extension.

Other design choices such as sealed/ported/passive radiators, length and width of ports, tuning of pr's, etc. will affect low frequency response also.

DJ
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • Mrdude
    edited September 2006
    Options
    thanks for the info
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2006
    Options
    let us know how the replacement works. I may be in the same boat at some point in the future.
  • Mrdude
    edited September 2006
    Options
    When I bought my speakers one of them (the left one ) had already been fitted with a MW7010 that was installed in the top speaker hole. I have now replaced the lowest speaker (on the right one) with a MW7010.

First I would like to comment on the visible differences between the MW7100 and the MW7010. The 7010 appears to be video shielded. Im not sure exactly what a shielded speaker looks like but I have heard that there is something covering the magnet on it. And there is something covering the magnet on the 7010. Also the dust caps (I think that is the correct term, the cap in the center of the driver) are stiffer on the 7010 then on the 7100 and lack the cool design that the dust caps have on the 7100.

Now the sound differences of the MW7100and MW7010. First of im not sure there is any difference in how the two sound. The Driver I replaced was a bottom one. With some music CDs it appears that there was more bass coming from left one. But then I listened to Spermophile test cd 1,2 and 3 and the speakers sounded the same.

So I kind of think they sound the same, i am however not sure.

I will report as I listen more.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Put the replacement drivers in the same location in each speaker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk