PC Video Card

2»

Comments

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited September 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    You are right... That's why I got the 7600 GT. After a $30 mail in rebate, it will only be $120 including shipping. Sweet deal I think, and from what i've read, it's on par with the X850 and X1800. Hope it lives up to the hype :D

I have not purchased a new video card for my system yet, please shoot me a pm or mention in this thread what you think of yours when you get it in. I would love a cheaper option.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited September 2006
    McLoki wrote:
    I have not purchased a new video card for my system yet, please shoot me a pm or mention in this thread what you think of yours when you get it in. I would love a cheaper option.

Michael

Will do.

Thanks to Polkasuicidalmanaic I found this.

Cheerio
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• MrNightly
    edited September 2006
    Alrighty folks! Worked an overnight last night, sometime this morning while asleep I vaguely remember hearing a doorbell ring. When I got up around 2, I checked my front porch, and low and behold, a brown box! I was excited.

Got the new card, and was slightly worried about installing it. But I opened the case, popped it in and bam baby... all done! The driver's installed no problem and I was in business.

Installing FEAR again to see how that runs, but CIV4 was quite the improvement. I will run FarCry and Doom3 as well, to see how it compares.

So far, no complaints! Sweet buy for the price, and if it performs half as well as they say, I'm one happy camper!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• MrNightly
    edited September 2006
    HOLD THE FIRE!!!

Caution: Caution:

The 7600 GT OC which was recently installed in my computer is a hazard to marital relationships!!! I just played F.E.A.R for almost the past 2 hours, an UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE. This card handled it on max settings like it was a 2 year old in diapers. No sweat! Unbelievable graphics. I'm just stunned. For a hundred fifty bucks, the best money I've ever spent!!!

WOW.

Caution: Caution: You have been warned.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited September 2006
    have you installed coolbits yet? if not, install that and play with the overclocking, you'll be even more impressed.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,703
    edited September 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    HOLD THE FIRE!!!

Caution: Caution:

The 7600 GT OC which was recently installed in my computer is a hazard to marital relationships!!! I just played F.E.A.R for almost the past 2 hours, an UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE. This card handled it on max settings like it was a 2 year old in diapers. No sweat! Unbelievable graphics. I'm just stunned. For a hundred fifty bucks, the best money I've ever spent!!!

WOW.

Caution: Caution: You have been warned.

That's exactly how I felt when I installed my X800XT back in May, '05. I had to spend almost twice as much as you though...but at the time, it was a hell of a deal.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • MrNightly
    edited September 2006
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    have you installed coolbits yet? if not, install that and play with the overclocking, you'll be even more impressed.

This was the 7600 GT OverClocked outta the box. Will coolbits help more? Where do I, "Grab" this program at anyways?

I'm super happy with it now.. I can only imagine! Thanks for the recommend man!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• EricBurg
    EricBurg Posts: 64
    edited September 2006
    Doh, I am a little late to the discussion, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I have the ATI 850 and am kind of disappointed because I can't get it to output 1080p resolution to my new sony A2000. The catalyst drivers recognize that my tv can handle 1080p resolution, but is unable to output that resolution over the dvi output. For that reason, I have decided to upgrade soon to one of the new NVIDIA cards. I have read that they are much more HDTV resolution friendly. The ATI worked great with my older tv outputing 720p resolution. I just want to get the full native resolution of my new TV. Of course, this probably isn't a concern to most video card purchases.

Eric
    Rti10: L/R
    Rti5: C
    Rti6: LS/RS/LSB/RSB
    SVS pb10-isd
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited September 2006
    EricBurg wrote:
    Doh, I am a little late to the discussion, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I have the ATI 850 and am kind of disappointed because I can't get it to output 1080p resolution to my new sony A2000. The catalyst drivers recognize that my tv can handle 1080p resolution, but is unable to output that resolution over the dvi output. For that reason, I have decided to upgrade soon to one of the new NVIDIA cards. I have read that they are much more HDTV resolution friendly. The ATI worked great with my older tv outputing 720p resolution. I just want to get the full native resolution of my new TV. Of course, this probably isn't a concern to most video card purchases.

Eric

Before you go out and buy a new card you might want to check out Powerstrip. 1080p is 1920x1080 resolution so you should be able to simply force your graphics card to output that resolution if it won't let you. Let me know how it goes.

MrNightly congrats on the new purchase I am sure you will get countless hours of solid gaming out of that card, really good price too!
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited December 2006
    I just got in a 7600GT card myself. Have tried battlefield 2 with it and it absolutely rocks.....

Thanks for the recommendation Mr Nightly (and others). Purchased it from compuvest for only $99.00 (plus about $8 shipping) all in all, a cheap upgrade and it rocks compared to the ATI chipset that was built into my motherboard.... (Radian 200 I think)

lovin it....

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2006
    be careful with cool bits I toasted an fx 5600xt with it so now I'm back to my old geforce 2 mx400. worst thimg about it all is I went fom agp 8x to a PCI card ouch. look on newegg.com and pricewatch.com for a deal. nvida or ati look for a card with a 256 bit interface for best preformance 7800 gt is nice and so are the ati x1900 7600 is ok but for the money I'd go with 7800 the sleeper would be the x850x I've heard they are awesome.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2006
    Hmm, I haven't toasted any cards with coolbits... I love it! I let it detect my optimal frequencies... gives a little bit of a boost. On the 6600 in my compy now, the heatsink covers not only the GPU core, but the DDR chips, too... so I'm fairly well cooled and don't have to worry about toasting it. Plus it draws most of its power from the 4 pin molex connector, which makes for a much more stable overclock.

I've noticed, though, that between the extra power being drawn, and the extra heat generated by the GPU, my power supply fan kicks up to the next level if I play graphics-intensive games for more than 30 mins or so. Guess that's the advantage of thermally controlled fans!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2006
    nadams wrote:

Nice billy Joel quote
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    should I try and be a straight A student, if you are then you care too much

I'm glad I finally decided to read this thread...my desktop could really use a stand alone video card.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2006
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    I'm an Nvidia fan myself, so I'd point you towards the Geforce 7900GT in your price range. eVGA is the Polk Audio of the video card world, they have the best support by far, and second place isn't even close - so I'd reccoment them over any other manufacturer.

I run dual Geforce 6800GTX's in my computer, couldn't be more happier with the product.