Wiring RDO tweets

Options
univera
univera Posts: 848
edited September 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Finally installing new tweets. Which wires go to what posts? New tweets have a copper colored post and non-copper post. There is a green tagged wire and a white tagged wire to each. Do I just connect them top and bottom as they already are?
UNIVERA
Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
AVR: NAD T 773
Rears: Polk LC80i
DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
Subs: Velodyne and M&K
T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
Post edited by univera on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2006
    Options
    black/blue=+
    white/green= -
    I believe that is the correct way,I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited September 2006
    Options
    What Torx size did you end up with?

Raife has answered that question before about wiring, I found it by using the search feature when I swapped mine out.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • univera
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I tried Torx and is indeed hex. Someone else had said they were Torx so I just assumed that was correct. I now have to go get hex....The Torx worked for a few until it stripped itself. I tried a search but there is alot to read through. What is the correct answer? There are no pos/neg. marking that I am aware? How bad is your football team when they loose to Rutgers....
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Red(Copper) is +. George Daniel is correct. Why do you need a hex wrench to remove a tweeter?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • univera
    edited September 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Red(Copper) is +. George Daniel is correct. Why do you need a hex wrench to remove a tweeter?

What else would I use? A hammer?:) The torx was not the correct tool. The person buying the old tweets said it was torx and I went on that. I don't have Phillips in the stock tweets. The new ones are Phillips. The inner tweet itself has a star or Torx fitting and the outer tweet surround (the part that I actually need to loosen) looks to be a hex. Am I wrong? Were most other tweets Phillips?

Just to add to my previous thread, old tweets are marked positive while the new ones have no marking other than the Red color.

Found the old thread from DK
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20914&highlight=tweeter+wires+color
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I always removed the tweeter (4 screws) located on the corners,,not the torx? next to the dome,, should be an easy drop in replacement.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    edited September 2006
    Options
    On the SRS's they used allen (hex) bolts/screws. George and Mark are correct on the wiring.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I've never had a hex wood screw in 30-35 pairs of vintage Polk's, not even my SRS. The inner machine screws can be torx, hex or philips.

F1 - No kidding, huh....guess I simply haven't seen that yet. That's pretty inconvenient.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • univera
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I always removed the tweeter (4 screws) located on the corners,,not the torx? next to the dome,, should be an easy drop in replacement.

Should be. Like I said, I just gave a cursory glance and went on the suggestion of the new buyer. I just don't have the correct tool. Should be all done after hitting Lowe's in the a.m. Crossovers should be out tomorrow as well for rebuild. EDIT: Inconvenient indeed.....BTW, is there some advantage to hex and torx? Always wondered why they use those pain in the **** fasteners. For the record, I feel the hex are much better looking than the Phillips. Cleaner look, so maybe that answers my question. But those stupid Torx????????
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• univera
    edited September 2006
    Options
    So how the hell do I get the damn crossovers out? I am using the directions provided with the polyswitches and removed the passive radiator. Besides the fact it is a bit difficult to stick my head in the hole, I can't figure out a way to unhook it. The directions say to remove the wire harnessness (3) but I have 5 or 6 connected to the board. Should I be removing the the metal plate on front? I am not the slightest bit handy and this is causing me to not enjoy my labor day......Since my switch is bad, I can't even do an A/B comparison with my new tweets.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Put the PR's back in. You need to remove the crossover plates. It would be very helpful to have an extra set of hands for this as you will need to desolder the wires from the board. They do not have much of a lead and the crossovers are heavy. Be sure you make a drawing of what wires go where.

BTW, forget about the Torx screws on the tweeters, you have no need to remove them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I've never had a hex wood screw in 30-35 pairs of vintage Polk's, not even my SRS. The inner machine screws can be torx, hex or philips.

F1 - No kidding, huh....guess I simply haven't seen that yet. That's pretty inconvenient.

Actually its kinda nice. They are not wood screws at all. On the inside are threaded plates and they accept the hex headed machine screws. My SDA-SRS use them.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Actually its kinda nice. They are not wood screws at all. On the inside are threaded plates and they accept the hex headed machine screws. My SDA-SRS use them.
    madmax

In that case, cool.
  • univera
    edited September 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Put the PR's back in. You need to remove the crossover plates. It would be very helpful to have an extra set of hands for this as you will need to desolder the wires from the board. They do not have much of a lead and the crossovers are heavy. Be sure you make a drawing of what wires go where.

BTW, forget about the Torx screws on the tweeters, you have no need to remove them.

Yes, thanks. I started thinking that was a near impossible task with my head jammed the hole, holding a flashlight, and dreaming of a chiropractic visit:) I figured it had to from the front and would need additional help. Troy D and Dave confirmed as much. Perhaps I can twist an arm to help...

And, I never had plans for the Torx screws, I just thought that was what I needed for the outer 4. Thanks for your help.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2006
    Options
    univera wrote:
    Besides the fact it is a bit difficult to stick my head in the hole,

Oh my!!!!! now I read in the other post how you are fit fellow Uni and not a "belly bucker" but we do have contest for biggest head size, right now I believe its a toss up between Russman and SkiGod.:D ;)

RT1
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Options
    when i swapped out the SL2000 tweets for the RD0 ones.. they were attached by the 4 outter Torx screws.. hex wrench did not work.

The mid drivers also use Torx.. they look like Hex, but aren't, at least on my SRS's. YMMV
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2006
    Options
    My SRS have the hex as stated by Max, machine screw. Guess its really not a big deal as long as Uni can get them out.

RT1
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Options
    i've never run into anything else that has used Torx screws.... till i went to replace the tweeters. i had never even heard of Torx.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: