DIY wood case for tube amp, have finish questions

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited September 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I just started the surround type case for my console amp, similiar to the one on the small set amp i sold here to maurice..

anyways, this time it's oak on the front and back panel and poplur on the sides as they will be painted black..

questions
do they make black stain? Ive done alot of hobby wood working, shelves and what not.. but dont remember seeing black stain.. i wanna replicate the lsi black ash..

i'll post pictures of the wood and amp as i go.. cut and sanded the wood yesterday.. need to drill holes for led light bezel, binding posts on the pack, iec outlet and power switch.. just need some suggestions.. on stuff i can buy and apply from like home depot..

also how can i get a piano gloss type finish on the side panels.?
spray paint black and then high gloss clear? or was thinking of plexi glass to match the sides and paint underneth the plexi to give it a black gloss look
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Minwax makes an ebony stain. Most hardware stores should carry it (at least hd or lowes).

For a high gloss finish, poly is probably your best bet. But to get that "piano" like finish is a bunch of work. If you don't have a spray gun, you will need to get a good (real good) quality brush. Then sand it between each coat using higher and higher grit paper. On the last coat try using some auto rubbing compond, then finish it off with some wax (auto wax will work). I've done a couple of projects trying to get that finish. I've come real close, but I'm not there yet. Hopefully my next one.

Good luck.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Truck bed liner...

Ebony stain...

To get a GLOSS like finish with regular stain without pulling out the lacquer... about 7-8 coats of gloss clear.. ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I meant high gloss on the black side panels..

the front and back panels are oak and will be stained black and a matt finish clear applied.. Thanks for the answers though
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp