Dared pre-amp SE on Ebay-thoughts

Options
univera
univera Posts: 848
edited September 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Anyone had any experience with this particular, upgraded unit? Thought I might get it as an interim piece while hunting for the Anthem pre-amp. Looks aside....Wood remote is kind of cool even if somewhat homemade. How about price-reasonable?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2006-Dared-SL-2000A-tube-preamp-US-limited-Ed_W0QQitemZ130020330689QQihZ003QQcategoryZ14974QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
UNIVERA
Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
AVR: NAD T 773
Rears: Polk LC80i
DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
Subs: Velodyne and M&K
T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
Post edited by univera on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I've got the 05 version; LOVE IT. Got it from the same guy and they are great.

Auricap capacitors are the bigest difference on 06 version; that should make it a tad better....

I know others in this forum have or have had the Dared. If you ask me, it is a great pre. If you get it you might not move to the Anthem....

I had at one time the Dared and a Dodd MLP; made lots of tests, coupled with a SS amp and the 1.2 TL's, and with tube monoblocks and a pair of Monitor Audio S8 speakers. Couldn't tell much of a difference, except for the Dodd having a better center on what should be heard centered, if that makes any sense. Hard to explain, but in any case not something you'd notice as a bad thing on the Dared; it's just that when the Dodd was on the center was noticeable better.

Hope this helps.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2006
    Options
    looks like someone snapped it up
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    faster100 wrote:

They have more for sale...and I noticed that you get two weeks to try and you can return it if you are not satisfied...seems like a no brainer to me; they did not have this last year.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2006
    Options
    faster100 wrote:
    They're readily available, so not to worry.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    By the way..the seller has a link to this thread in the reviews portion......Polk forum getting famous :D

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34124/

And you can also read this one:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34739&highlight=dared

SOPA
  • univera
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Yea, the first thread is the one I read that led me to look at Dared's. I didn't know/realize it was the same piece. Still not sure if it is the same one or has the same model number with American version upgrades. Russman, I happen to think its cool looking, tube roll bar and all!
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• univera
    edited September 2006
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    I've got the 05 version; LOVE IT. Got it from the same guy and they are great.

Auricap capacitors are the bigest difference on 06 version; that should make it a tad better....

I know others in this forum have or have had the Dared. If you ask me, it is a great pre. If you get it you might not move to the Anthem....

I had at one time the Dared and a Dodd MLP; made lots of tests, coupled with a SS amp and the 1.2 TL's, and with tube monoblocks and a pair of Monitor Audio S8 speakers. Couldn't tell much of a difference, except for the Dodd having a better center on what should be heard centered, if that makes any sense. Hard to explain, but in any case not something you'd notice as a bad thing on the Dared; it's just that when the Dodd was on the center was noticeable better.

Hope this helps.

Yep, the center thing makes perfect sense. It's biggest drawback for me is lack of passthrough, but I may not need it. Nice to have, though. Lot's of debate here about which is better, so thanks for the feedback. FWIW, that Anthem is supposed to have a huge soundstage.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup: