OH SNAP!!! Daddy got a new ride...

Toxis
Toxis Posts: 5,116
edited September 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well, I can say I have no idea what came over me yesterday. Strange couple of days this week has become. I've thrown around the idea of getting an 06 WRX for quite a while, trading in the 01 Integra and "Moving on up!" Well I test drove one on Tuesday and liked it but there's a lot to be desired and had a weird feeling about it. The salesguy was ok at best and the sales manager was a complete assbag so I walked to think about it. Something about the car didn't feel "right." So I thought about it and wanted to compare it to some new cars. Well, seeing I've always been a huge Honda guy, I looked into the RSX-S. Love a lot about it except two things. Leather interior (doesn't "hug" me like I want) and the fact every high school girl and middle class woman/man who wants to feel young again has one. Literally, around here you can't turn your head without finding 3 within range. No thanks. "So what does Honda have to offer these days?" Oh, that's right... the new Civic SI. Dear god. GORGEOUS! Love the styling, love the interior, love iVtec, love the new K-series motors... but gotta drive it first to know! So yesterday I go in and test drive the RSX-S. Lots of fun and made me realize why I wasn't that impressed with the WRX, but I'll get to that in a minute. As already stated, I didn't want to feel like every other high school girl in town, I decide to find me the new SI. I call every single Honda dealer in Kansas City and 3 other metro areas within an hour drive from me. None had it... except one. Coincidentally it happened to be under 10 minutes away from me and they had it in Black (my first preference, second being blue like the teggie). So lets see what this is all about. I walk in, find the car, what the hell? Sold sticker? NOOOOOO!!!! So I find a sales guy (who was great throughout) and he said he had one more just like it in back still available. I go look at it and whew. After 45 or so minutes of doing some serious talking, I finally get him convinced to let me have a test drive. They have a policy to not let people just walk in and test drive the SI's because they're in such demand and they want to keep the miles low unless they get someone who's REALLY serious as I was. So I take it out and instantly, it said "Hello dad, take me home." Handles like a dream. The interior is as solid as most Lexus' I've been in. The outside is even sexier in person than on their site. The engine didn't leave me wanting more but I realized "Life starts at iVtec." I know it's less power and a ton less torque than the WRX but honestly, I swear it's not much slower and out performs it in every other category possible. So I get the numbers I was wanting to see and leave. I took 3-4 hours to think about it and talk it over with some fam to see what they thought. Needless to say I went back and bought that summamabish. Let me tell you, I could NOT be happier if it had a BJ tube. It is crazy to think that I went from "Hey, I wouldn't mind looking at some new cars" to "WTF? I just bought a brand new car!" in under 6 hours. I have NEVER done this before and this is the first brand new car I've ever had. There's a few other cars I would've liked to test drive, like the VW GTI for example, but after just sitting in the new SI and seeing the layout, I had no reason to. Daddy's got himself a brand new car.

So now some of you car guys are wondering "Why the SI over the WRX? TURBO PUNK, TUUUURRRRBOOOOOOO!!!!" Yeah I know. WAAAAAH PSSSST! Seriously, I was not impressed with anything on the WRX except the straight line power. It was fun off the line but once you hit 90mph, it almost acted like "What now?" DOG! I bet you in a race, the SI would take it at 130-140mph. The WRX's transmission was a complete slush, it handled like an S-10, the tires were complete **** (I broke it loose doing 35 in a regular corner when I let OFF the gas), the interior was made by Mattel, and the new front end is not as sexy as the 04-05 or as mean as the 02-03. But honestly, I've driven an 02 and an 04. I never liked them because of the 2.0 motor which had some serious lag. The new 2.5l motor is a TON better. No lag, and is a monster to 90. The new SI now has an LSD so it can actually launch unlike all other civics, SI or not, it has 37 more hp than any SI ever made (197 now) and the new dash layout is unlike anything Honda has done. It's a dream. I swear, if you're looking at a car under $25k, give the SI a look. At $21k, it's an absolute machine. I'm sure I've missed a lot in this lil rant, but I'll add it later when it comes to mind. Thanks for listening. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
Post edited by Toxis on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited August 2006
    Congrats.........new is always fun......

Let's see some pics of the dash and externals......also have to have one of dad and the new kid....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2006
    Toxis wrote:
    I bet you in a race, the SI would take it at 130-140mph.

So, how many minutes does is take a civic to get up to 130?

V-TAKK 4 EVA!

;)
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited September 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    So, how many minutes does is take a civic to get up to 130?

V-TAKK 4 EVA!

;)

Lol, nothing quite like a Stang uh, PolkThug? :D I drove a RXS Type-S before buying my Mach 1 and I'm definately glad I bought the Mach. Of course this isn't my daily driver, but it'll get up and move-12.78 @ 109 in the 1/4 mile on stock street tires with a handful of bolt-on mods (Mach 1 w/5 speed)! :eek:

CONGRATS Toxis. Anytime you buy your first new car, it's a HUGE deal. Be proud and enjoy driving it around on this long holiday weekend. Post up some pics when you get a chance!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2006
    MattN03 wrote:
    Lol, nothing quite like a Stang uh, PolkThug? :D I drove a RXS Type-S before buying my Mach 1 and I'm definately glad I bought the Mach. Of course this isn't my daily driver, but it'll get up and move-12.78 @ 109 in the 1/4 mile on stock street tires with a handful of bolt-on mods (Mach 1 w/5 speed)! :eek:

Nice! That's moving pretty good. Last Wednesday was nice and cool and I hit 12.41@115. The joy of torque.

Oh well, maybe Toxis can get a Camaro in '09. :)
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2006
    Did the guys at honda tell you theyre not making the RSX anymore?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2006
    after that huge post, so what car did ya get after all? :D a honda
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited September 2006
    I was thinking about an '06 Civic, undecided on which model (as a second car).

I had a look at the dash kit for swapping out the factory head unit down the road- big hassle. A huge chunk of the dash has to come apart to strap your favourite CD player in.

Still love the car though, but not as "system friendly" as i'd like.

http://www.metraonline.com/_assets/manuals/INST99-7871.pdf
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited September 2006
    I've looked at the new Si, but I keep looking at the torque and saying "where is it?". Congrats on the new car though... could beat my Mazda3 in a race.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited September 2006
    Here's what the ride looks like after ingesting some Psilocybin. :eek:

large7.jpg
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2006
    Nice. Congrats! I like my torque, but reaching a performance level with revs is a legit way to do it, too, and to be honest, it vexes my curiousity a bit, too.

Now let's see some pics!!!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited September 2006
    Love this car. And it's got one thing the RSX doesn't have: Limited Slip Differential.

Congratulations.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • jroberts_101
    jroberts_101 Posts: 106
    edited September 2006
    tight man, if you are into modifying cars at all you chose the right one. they make so many aftermarket parts for that car, aand you can make it intensely fast with just some engine mods. def. join a forum with si owners and start learning.
    Polk Momo MMC6500
    Polk Momo C300.2
    Polk Momo MM2124 (2)
    Polk Momo C500.1
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2006
    Congratulations Toxis, nothing better in the world than getting a new ride!!!

Now about all this Civic is better than the WRX crap! :D

300 Hp and 300 Torque vs 197 HP and 139 Torque. All wheel drive vs front wheel drive. Ill take the WRX myself.

But still, numbers aint everything and if the Civic was more for your driving needs then good for ya! Just make sure you dont EVER put one of those stupid wings on the back big enough to steer a 747!! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Toxis
    edited September 2006
    Mac... come on man. WRX is not the same as the STI. The STI is the beast. Other than that, the reg WRX is a joke. The AWD honestly didn't impress me and the car had so much body roll, it didn't help cornering like I thought it would've.

jroberts... I haven't been on a honda forum in a long while but I'm trying to find a quality one now that isn't full of ricers. I actually started www.civicland about 6 years ago when I had a 97 hatch. This is my 3rd Honda in a row so I know them inside and out. Now I just gotta wait for all the companies to come out with the mods for this new gen.

Thuggy... 09 Camaro? Not unless it was free. I don't care what anyone says but I am an import guy through and through. Not saying I hate or disrespect domestics but I prefer something that can hit 100k and stay off the side of the road. ;) Sure, I'm not running 12.41's but how much did your car cost and how much in upgrades? For the price of your car alone, I could be in the low 12's and still get 25+ mpg... and in a few years might be. WHO KNOWS?

Cody... I knew about the RSX anyhow. I'm really surprised seeing how sales are up almost 10% from last year on them. They're selling REALLY well for them. Discontinuing, should've just remodelled them.

Greg... no this car is NOT installer friendly in the dash. No kits made yet and I doubt anyone will make one worth a damn. Kinda like the old ZX2's a few years ago... HIDEOUS! I plan on keeping the OEM deck and just swapping out the freeair 8" for a 10" SR and an enclosure. The deck has sub levels so it'll work for a minute. The rest of the system will remain stock just for simplicity. I bet after a while, I'll upgrade to some SR's but there's a million other things I wanna do first. Just gotta make it happen.

Thanks for all the other props. Pics will be posted soon... probably Monday aka as soon as I have a day off with sunshine. Damn retail!!!

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2006
    get the rockford fosgate 360.1 or 360.2 if youre looking to upgrade the audio. Hands down the best factory intergration I've used.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Toxis
    edited September 2006
    if I go full system minus HU, I definitely will be getting a 360 (not sure which yet but we'll see if/when the time comes).

• brettw22
    edited September 2006
    My biggest **** about the honda dashes lately is that they integrate the a/c and the stereo displays. I don't know about your car, but I decided that my next car can't be a honda just for that reason.

Look forward to seein the pics when ya get a chance........
  • Toxis
    edited September 2006
    large6.jpg

At least you can see the dash but my radio is not the Nav unit, it's all integrated and flows well though. Impossible to replace the radio at this point in time...

Pics to be comin'!

• Toxis
    edited September 2006
    Pics per Honda...
    large4.jpg
    large5.jpg

I have these rims, not the ones in the first pic (yet). These are 17's, the above ones are 18's from Honda (Enkei manufactured them) and I might end up getting them if I can't find a deal on some Volk's, Work's or something of the like.
    large17.jpg

• brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Somethin about Honda and 18" wheels seems so wrong.........
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2006
    I like that interior. Very basic. Although I'd personally prefer an analog speedometer.

Found some pics without hte nav :

2006.honda.civic.20083671-E.jpg
    2006.honda.civic.20083675-E.jpg
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2006
    That looks VERY nice.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Toxis
    edited September 2006
    haha yeah that's her! I love it. There is nothing in that interior that says previous Honda. There's so many things they've done with the new gen civic that is innovative for them, I couldn't love it more. She's a dream to drive.

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2006
    Say what not something from the BIG 3....

What they **** about loosing sales, loosing to the **** car makes who build cars here in the USA and kicking ****. Good move you will be happy as you're a Honda fan already and in 4 yrs you could sell it for a nice penny. Because We consumers like reliability and the resale shows it.

BTW I think the Acura TL-S will kick the WRX butt, TL-S has one fine V6 :D Not afraid to find all the Horses.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MacLeod
    edited September 2006
    Yeah thats the best part of that car, itll virtually last forever.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited September 2006
    *snorts* *teeh he* You shoulda bought you one of dem der CHEV-EEES..maaaaaaan *chuckles* (morons)

Cool ride. Enjoy.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2006
    Nah. The world needs rice boys too. :D

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited September 2006
    Haha..

I was actually making fun of Chevy owners more so than Honda owners...

Personally I like Toyota.

I think we've been down this road before...

My sisters Honda fell apart miles ago...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.