sr6500, coax or separate?

killerb
killerb Posts: 390
edited August 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
what is the best way to go? i have heard that the coax has a smoother response. the coax should make the install easier. what do you think?
kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
Morel Elate 6 front stage
Post edited by killerb on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2006
    Mount the tweeters wherever they sound best.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited August 2006
    Have a read (if you haven't done so already):

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0511cae_polk_audio_sr6500_car_speakers/

I believe the reviewer found a response dip with the SRs mounted in Co-axial mode, but it was small compared to typical coax speakers.

If you are able to mount the SR set as components it would probably be best, but if that's not possible, coax mounting is still very good (depending of course on your factory speaker locations). The coax mounting does need added mounting space above the woofer basket's top surface, as in between the top of the basket and the door panel (for door mount).
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited August 2006
    I have mine mounted coax and don't like it as much. The only reason though that mine aren't mounted seperately is that I'm going to sell the car within a few years so I wanted to have something easily removeable; otherwise I'd have mouted seperately to raise the stage. (I lean my left leg against teh door, so that totally blocks the speaker at all getting directly to my ear, so it always sounds like more sound is coming from the back instead of the front....yes, I installed 2 pairs)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited August 2006
    thats a good point about blocking the tweeter. i think i will just go separate. thanks.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited August 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I have mine mounted coax and don't like it as much. The only reason though that mine aren't mounted seperately is that I'm going to sell the car within a few years so I wanted to have something easily removeable; otherwise I'd have mouted seperately to raise the stage. (I lean my left leg against teh door, so that totally blocks the speaker at all getting directly to my ear, so it always sounds like more sound is coming from the back instead of the front....yes, I installed 2 pairs)

Proper adjustment of rear fill is what is needed there.......
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin