iPod Adapter cord

Options
AndyGwis
AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
edited October 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hey Guys,

I need to make / purchase a long 3.5mm to RCA adapter cord to connect my iPod to my Pre-amp. I know there are thousands online, but they all are too short for my application. I probably need one that is a good 15 to 20 feet.

The one I did find online that was 24 feet looked pretty weak (thin cord, cheapo RCA's). I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but does anyone know where I could get a good quality adapter of this length? I would make one if someone told me how. Should I try to contact Frank at Signal Cable or something.

Thanks in advance!
Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
Post edited by AndyGwis on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    edited August 2006
    Options
    BTW, I did try to purchase an extension for my shorter, current adapter (a 7-foot belkin that has now fallen apart within 4 months use). It would only work for one channel so I guess somewhere in the extension's connection, one of the signals was lost. I think one solid, higher quality adapter is required.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2006
    Options
    AndyGwis wrote:
    Should I try to contact Frank at Signal Cable or something.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it would hurt:)
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Would a remote control for the IPod solve the distance issue? My wife bought me a Griffin AirClick for my birthday and it works great.
  • AndyGwis
    edited August 2006
    Options
    That actually may work. Hadn't thought of that.

My issue is that I hooked up some speakers for my patio area but there's no remote for my pre. I thought a long iPod cord I could run out there would work well, but the remote idea sounds even better.

What's the range on that thing? I'm only talking like 15 feet from outside area to iPod (mini, if that matters).
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Range is rated at 60 feet. It's RF, so no line-of-sight requirements like IF.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/index.php
  • ward91
    ward91 Posts: 338
    edited September 2006
    Options
    proberly no help to you in the us but in the uk i would go to maplin electronics, get my cables and connecters and solder away
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I got the remote as well, well, works great.
  • AndyGwis
    edited October 2006
    Options
    ended up finding a 15ft adapter from an Amazon marketplace seller marked down from $25 to $7-ish. Got two shipped for something like $18, one for listening to outdoor speakers, one for hooking up iPod to bedroom speakers.

Thanks! Almost got remote as well, but thought I'd buy one later.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2006
    Options
    This is what I use I couldn't be more happier. Charges and everything

It is made by Accurian and I know it can be found at Radio Shack