slate, spikes or carpet under sub?

Options
ezc
ezc Posts: 426
Any one have any input on sub placement? My home is carpeted & I have a 650 on the carpet. I have read in this forum a while back about slate or other stones under the sub. Is it better to just sit the sub on the carpet or on some sort of stone. I also have read about spikes which couple the sub to the floor better. Would stone or spikes be better than on the carpet? Any advice is appreciated.
Post edited by ezc on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2002
    Options
    No nothing here. Just the corner of the room. Wish I had a 650
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • baker_max
    baker_max Posts: 13
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I posted at an earlier date as my 650 was actually moving on the carpet. I called my local granite/slate distributor and they wanted up to $100 for a piece of slate or granite if I wanted it cut. If I didn't care about the edges etc. they would sell me a piece for around $20. Myself being the picky type, opted to spend $20 on a set of Spikes. The sub sounds great and it was a lot cheaper than a $100 slab of rock on my carpet.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I've suggested slate, marble or granite to other people. I didn't realize it costed so much. I've got a front-firing sub, so haven't felt the need to take that extra step.

This may sound morbid, but ask your local tombstone carver. This may or may not be worthwhile, but it's a thought.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • robertgray
    robertgray Posts: 22
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I had great success with sound when I placed my 350 on a piece of 18" x 18" x1" stone called "Bluestone". It is gray in color, well-cut piece, and no jagged edged and fairly smooth surfaces. This was available from a local agricultural supply/outdoor center cooperative called "Southern States", for only $ 7.98. The stone actually came from a company called "Luckstone", another local company (www.luckstone.com). If you can find this type stone or another at a reasonable price, I highly recommend it.
    Robert Gray
    www.pamunkey.net

Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver
    Polk CS245i center
    Polk RT25i front and side surrounds
    Bose Interaudio 2000 rear surround (Got one RT25i to round out my system? PM me.)
    Polk PSW450 sub
    plus........
    Polk PSW350 sub
  • marionany
    marionany Posts: 5
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Hey Robert,

I appreciate your input on the bluestone, I would like to take advantage and ask you how you have your PSW350 connected ? If you can provide your setup to hook up mine, I just got one and want to connect it to a Denon AVR2802.

Thanks
    Mario
    . \\|//
    . (o o)
    oOOo-(_)-oOOo
    ///SuperMario
  • robertgray
    robertgray Posts: 22
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I have an Onkyo TX-SR600, PSW350, CS245i, 4ea RT25i, and a Bose Interaudio 2000 for the rear surround. I am using the LFE input on the sub (my receiver has an adjustable crossover (80/100/120Hz). The rest is just an assortment of RCA 27", Sansui turntable, Toshiba DVD, Magnavox CD, Hitachi VCR, DirecTV satellite receiver. Sanus audio furniture and front speaker stands. Side speakers mounted exactly as recommended by Polk (room worked well).
    Robert Gray
    www.pamunkey.net

Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver
    Polk CS245i center
    Polk RT25i front and side surrounds
    Bose Interaudio 2000 rear surround (Got one RT25i to round out my system? PM me.)
    Polk PSW450 sub
    plus........
    Polk PSW350 sub
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    Options
    dont need any my sub is on concrete i do lose a little bass but i dont get as many peaks
  • unc69
    unc69 Posts: 1
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Robertgray,

Just got an Onkyo SR 600, PA RM 6200 speakers (6), and a JBL PW 10 subwoolfer. Any advice about set-up?