Finally got some info about the PINKS! race I was involved with

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited August 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was told the PINKS! show is supposed to air some time in late October. Like the 18th or 25th or something. Should be on at like 9-9:30pm. It is quite possible that will change though. The best thing to do is watch the commercials for the show. For right now though, October it is.

The car to look for is a 1990-91 Ford Mustang LX notchback. It's a dark red, almost a Maroon color. The owner is named Jimmy or Jim. Him and his buddy are from North Jersey and/or Long Island. Regas is the guy I know who asked me to help out. He is from Mt. Holly, NJ and his shop is Ellas Automotive & Performance. The race was at Maryland International Raceway otherwise known as MIR. MIR is in Mechanicsville, MD and they usually give the listing by the town the track is in and not necessarily the race track. It may also be listed as Budds Creek, MD. You can see some pictures of the filming at MIR here: http://www.mirdrag.com/v2/news/2006/060801-01.htm

This is a photo of the cars that ran:
5094.jpg

The black Mustang has a turbo setup. I wasn't there so I can't give exact info on what was under the hood. The red car in the back is the one I helped build. It's a solid 10 second car and is probably good for high 9's. From what Regas told me, that black 'Stang was supposed to be a 9 second car also but was probably closer to the 8.5-7.9 second range. So that is basically the race you are looking for.

If I find out any more info, I'll pass it on. At least there is some evidence that I'm not bs'ing anyone. I still can't say what the result was though.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2006
    Wow. I love that black car! I'd love to have either of them, though!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2006
    Very cool. Ill keep my eye out for that episode.

91 model? That looks like a mid 80's to me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2006
    Nope. 87-93 looked like the black one above. The mid 80's model was the four-eyed model. You can kinda get an idea of year from the back, but I can't point out anything specifically to tip you off.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2006
    very cool. I want a 9 second car:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    edited August 2006
    From 1979-1986 The Mustang LX came in three body styles, the "notchback" which was a 2 door sedan and the "hatchback" which was a "3 door" sedan and a convertible was avaiable from 1983-1986. 1970-82 had the option if T-tops. The GT came in hatchback and convertible forms. During these years, the GT was merely an LX notch with some minor bodywork treatments on the lower fascias and a bunch of luxury options. The same engine/transmission combo could be had in LX trim. All models had 4 headlights and slightly different molded grilles. All taillights were similar and there is almost no difference in LX tailights from 1983 through the end of the run in '93.

From 1984-1986, there was the SVO Mustang which had single, composite beam headlamps which looked similar to the 1987-1993 head lamps. These cars came with a turbo charged 2.3L 4 cylinder and a 5 speed manual. These were special addition cars ad if you can find one in god condition, they are worth some money to collectors. These were the only Mustangs with different taillamps in the 80's and they used a hatchback body.

In 1979-82, there was a turbo option on the 4 cylinder Mustangs but it was not the same drivetrain as the later SVO Mustangs. The GT for those years was sold in Canada with a turbo charged 4 cylinder. In the US, the Mustang top models had a 255 V8 in them which was just weak.

The only other Mustangs with different taillights were the 1984-1990 McLaren ASC Mustangs. They were special edition Mustangs built by a Ford/McLaren joint venture.

In 1987, the Mustang got a sleaker look with composite headlamps. The GT also got a fancy body kit. Body styles remained the same. However, the new GT had louvered taillights and this is the only other significant change to taillights since 1983 until the end of the run in 1993 aside from the Cobra and Cobra R using taillights similar to the LX models and having slightly diferent bodywork.

It is next to impossible to determine the differences in years by just looking at the taillights on an LX.

Lastly, I am not lying about the year of the cars in the picture above. Both cars are 90-91. The red one in the far lane is the one I worked on and it is a 1990 Mustang LX with an engine from a 1992 LX. The black one is a 1991 LX and that's all I know about it. Trust me, if you lined up side by side a Mustang LX sedan from each each year of production and looked at the **** ends, the only change you would see would be the 82-83 change. After 1983, aside from some lens coloring differences from 83-84, you could not tell the difference.

• MacLeod
    edited August 2006
    I looked at some pics and its the 1993 models I was thinking about. I remember they did a pretty big makeover to the Mustang but for some reason, I was thinking it was in 1990.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2006
    thats what you get for thinking:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    edited August 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    I looked at some pics and its the 1993 models I was thinking about. I remember they did a pretty big makeover to the Mustang but for some reason, I was thinking it was in 1990.

Do you mean 1994 or 1983 because a 1993 Mustang looks like a 1987 Mustang unless the 93 is a Cobra or a Cobra R.

In 1983, the Mustang got less boxy and more angular.

In 1994, the SN-95 chassied cars debuted with the old 5.0L pushrod V8. The 4.6L did not show up in Mustangs until 1996. However, 1994 saw a serious redesign of the car from the ground up. Contrary to popular opinion, the SN95 chassis, while being based of the old Fox chassis had roughly 70% of the parts redesigned and it really isn't a Fox chassis. The only real similarities are the fact that the Fox chassis was a live rear axle car using a 4 link rear suspension and MacPherson strut suspension up front. The SN95 is wider and longer than the Fox chassis and virtully no parts transfer between the two platforms. 1993 was the last year for a Fox chassied Mustang. The SN95 ran from 1994 through 2004 with the 2005 Mustang being built on a modified D2C platform.

So your redesign dates for the Fox chassied Mustang are as follows:

1979 -- Fox chassied based Mustang debuts thankfully killing off the abomination of the Mustang II

1983 -- The Mustang looses it's boxy shapes, becomes more angular and gets a REAL engine in the 302. Taillights, grilles, hoods, headlights and lower fascias change.

1985 -- The grilles get updated for a more modern look to fit in with the new Probe coming out and to give some line up seperation so that the Mustang doesn't look like a 2 door LTD anymore.

1987 -- The Mustang loses the quad sealed beam headlights in favor of composite halogen bulbs behind lenses. The GT gets a body kit with profile lowering ground effects and louvered taillights. Nothing much else changes except for side glass.

1993 -- The Cobra and Cobra R are introduced with revised bodywork and taillights. This is also the last year for thie bodystyle and chassis

1994 -- the new SN95 chassis debuts with a more rounded "jellybean" look. Gone is the hatchback. Now there is just a fastback (2 door sedan with real trunk and steeply raked rear window) and a convertible. There is no specific GT body work, just differing fasicias front and rear. The only way to tell a V6 model at first glance is the number of tailpipes. V6 has 1, V8 has 2.

To continue on through the years:

1996 -- the SN95 cars get the Cobra, taillights are redesigned, ground effects from the GT are modified to accept COBRA imprinting on the rear and larger, round fog lamps up front.

1998 -- The chassis stays the same but the body is "freshened" with Ford's "New Edge" design. Same principles apply, Cobra has slightly different bodywork.

2000 -- Cobra R is introduced with very aggressive bodywork and a large rear wing.

2004 -- last year for the SN95. Cobra gets an Anniversary edition with some minor body queues in the hood and fascias.

2005 -- First year for radically different, completely new Mustang on the D2C chassis. No convertible. Just fastback. V6 looks similar to V8 model with fog lamps, sticker packages and exhaust pipes being only real visual cues.

2006 -- add the convertible back in the mix (debuted in 2005.5 as '06 model) and the Shelby GT500 debuts as a 2007 model.

• MacLeod
    edited August 2006
    OK, well obviously I dont know **** about Mustangs. Strange as those are about my favorite car in the world (behind a 70's Trans Am).

Youre right, John. It is the 1994 that I was thinking came out in 1990 and 1993.

This one:

701976.jpeg

Either way, the 1988 GT is my favorite model.

• Jstas
    edited August 2006
    I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I just didn't understand what you were trying to say and it seemed that you weren't 100% sure either. So I brain-dumped to try and give you a better map of how the years laid out so maybe you could understand what you were thinking better too.

Don't mind me. It is becoming increasingly evident that I am an idiot-savant when it comes to cars. I mean, people whom I looked up to as knowing alot have been giving me stupid looks and asking me how I know such stupid little details like what taillights were on what Mustangs through a production run of 4 decades.

• Jstas
    edited August 2006
    BTW, I like the 1983 GT with the cowl induction hood. My second favorite would be the 98-04 Mustangs. I just like the looks. The new ones are nice too but until they get more variety and a hot rod version I can afford, I'm not all that in to them. Classic Mustangs though, I'll take a 71 fastback. Preferrably one of these:

1971_Ford_Mustang_Boss351.jpg

That's a '71 BOSS 351. It has a 351 Cleveland in it and it probably the most underrated and one of the rarest Mustangs ever produced.

Here's some info:
    http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/muscle/mustang/fBOSSb351cont.frame

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2006
    ... i prefer the windsor small block to the cleveland big block. then again, i'll never squawk at a free engine :)

the '71 above is what a car is supposed to look like. if i had a car like that (fully restored), i'd feel good inside (seriously), as if everything in the world was perfect.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited August 2006
    You're gonna cry about a 330 horse V8 in a 3800 pound car that could run the 1/4 mile in mid 13's with a pair of cheater slicks? Not only was it one of the fastest Mustangs ever made but, after it went out of production, no other Mustang came close to it's apabilities until the Cobra was released in 1996.

On top of that, it's weight balance was something like 52/48 front/rear. For a car that size and from that time, that was impressive! What it means though is that it woul go around turns very well! Put modern rubber on it and that car could keep up with Current Mustangs and Camaros if not exceed the performance.

The car was ahead of it's time.

• audiobliss
    edited August 2006
    I saw two Mustangs of that same body style at a Mustang car show at the local Ford dealership last weekend. One had a 351, though I'm not sure which block, and I don't think it was a Boss. One of them was still owned by the original owner and only had 66,000 miles! :eek:

My favorite, though, was a mid to late 60's Mustang GT (gorgeous!) with a 427 and dual 4 barrels!!!! :D he left while we were there, so I got to hear it, too. *drool*
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2006
    Jstas wrote:
    I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I just didn't understand what you were trying to say and it seemed that you weren't 100% sure either. So I brain-dumped to try and give you a better map of how the years laid out so maybe you could understand what you were thinking better too.

Don't mind me. It is becoming increasingly evident that I am an idiot-savant when it comes to cars. I mean, people whom I looked up to as knowing alot have been giving me stupid looks and asking me how I know such stupid little details like what taillights were on what Mustangs through a production run of 4 decades.

No bro, I wasnt being sarcastic. I really dont know **** about the specific model years and all that! ;)

I think the reason I like the 87-88'ish Mustangs is that Im such an 80's freak and 88 was the year I started driving and no car made me drool more than the new Mustang GT. So even tho its not the most powerful or best performer, itll always have a place in my heart.

Its also one of the few cars Id buy and restore should I ever win the lottery.

• Jstas
    edited August 2006
    The Fox chassied Mustangs are hands down the cheapest to go fast with. There are cheaper Mustangs like the Mustang II but, the aftermarket sucks and most of the Mustang IIs get chopped up and thier suspensions raped for lowering old Model A's and other cars like it.

However, you can get a solid Fox chassied Mustang into the 11's for less than five grand and you can go 9's for around 15-20 grand. Thee is support galore for them and honestly, if you want to get into amateur bracket racing, a Mustang is a great place to start.

I had an 83. I like them because they are the lightest hatchback Fox chassied Mustang and even lighter than some of the notchbacks from later years.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2006
    351 cleveland just had some issues... it's a good motor - but it's not for the feint of heart, as it oils like a terd. the windsor is only about 30 horse less (roughly 300 versus 325-330) but it has a tried and true reputation as being extremely reliable, "beat-on-able" (almost unkillable), and good parts are so readily available (at modest and affordable prices) that it's disgusting (in a good way).

as i said, i wouldn't squawk about a free motor anyday - but if i had to choose, i'd take the windsor, even if it was "incorrect" for that year of mustang ... i believe they switched in the early 70's from cleveland's to windsors... what i mean is if i had like a 69 or something, i'd put a windsor in it and i wouldn't feel bad that it wasn't the exact correct motor.

its similar to my distaste for the 360 LA block of chrysler. I'd rather have a 318 than a 360 anyday due only to reliability and ease of fixing... the 360 has some issues that gnaw at me, even though its about 30 to 50 horse stronger depending on year/castings.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2006
    Speaking of sweet spots, the very first car I ever owned was a 1977 Mustang Cobra II. It looked just like this one:

RR57.jpg

Man I loved that car. It was a major POS tho. It had been ragged out pretty bad and had, I wanna say 190,000 miles on it when I bought it for $800!

It standed me pretty much every other week but suprisingly, it was never anything major and always was fixed for under $200!

This is another one Id love to restore just for the nostalgic thing.