NAD 2200PE Amplifier

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited August 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
NAD 2200PE(100x2@8 - 400x1@8) - 7/10 - OD Green - *SOLD*

My favorite years of NAD gear include this excellent amplifier. This is the 2200 Power Envelope(PE) series which is THE one to own if given the choice. This amplifier is also bridgeable to monoblock form for some even more hardcore power. I picked this up from the original owner and he stated that it was NEVER bridged, so the amp has never been close to overdriven.

There are 2 main features of vintage NAD amplifiers that are really interesting.

In a nutshell, the PE design allows 4-6dB of instantaneous, dynamic headroom without audible distortion. This is in the realm of 400-800wpc for transient information. Please find that in something new, anywhere close to this price range.

Another cool feature that NAD has used for years is Soft Clipping. This circuit rounds off the audible waveform and prevents distortion due to power supply modulation, as well as reducing high order harmonics. In other words, it reduces the output instead of allowing distortion and blowing up your speaker.

The amp also inverts the polarity of the L&R channels to allow use of both the negative and positive waveform in bass transients. This is a huge advantage in regards to the power supply due to the reduced current draw.

This document is for the 2200, but it's very similar in topology and is an excellent read about this vintage model.

NAD 2200 Amplifier

Comments: Well, it's 7/10, mainly because of a rub and scratch on the front. The top, beveled edge has the typical finish rubbing common in used NAD gear. It isn't mint, but I really think it's still quite presentable with no deep gouges or corner dings and the guts are worth every penny.

I also popped the top off to clean it up and noticed the glue on the capacitors had dried up and allowed them to wiggle. I sandwhiched some Dynamat in between the capacitor bank and zip tied them all together. I would say it's much better than before and might even be a little tweak. The binding posts were also tightened up a little bit but these are basically banana plug posts as anything else is just a PITA.

Anyways, thought you should know.

Includes: Shipping, reproduction sales brochure and HIGH quality service manual ala www.stereomanuals.com

CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• timothyj
    timothyj Posts: 129
    edited August 2006
    Doro, you have a PM
    Tim

LSI7 x 3 (fronts)
    rt25i x 2 (surrounds)
    SVS PB-10 NSD
    Harmon Kardon 235 pre/pro
    NAD amps
    Xbox 360
    Pioneer DV-578A (DVD, SACD, DVD-A)
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    Here is the before and after pics of the "tweak" or simple fix...no vibration problems now.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited August 2006
    Doro, thanks for first crack, but I am going to pass. I like those pristine exteriors and I haven't quite figured out my current game plan. Tim, jump on it! Great amp. I own one 2200PE and the 2200A is the power section of my receiver, which sounds damn good and never strains at reasonable, high volume. The price is right!
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    Thanks for the interest and I know what you mean. I wish I could have found it otherwise, but it is what it is.
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited August 2006
    Doro, how does the 2200A found in my 7600 receiver compare to the 2200PE in your opinion? There is a 2200A on Audiogon with manuals for $300.00. I know that Power Envelope technology was an improvement on the older Power Tracker design.

The 2200PE paired with an 1155 pre-amp didn't have the life that the 2200A amp section of my receiver seemed to have. Here's a link to the NAD 7600 receiver, gotta to be one of the baddest receivers of the era. http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_7600.pdf
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • timothyj
    timothyj Posts: 129
    edited August 2006
    Still up for grabs guys, Doro thanks again for the advice. I'm sticking w/ my current 2-channel setup and putting together a budget rti HT.

By the way, speaking from experience NAD + lsi has musicality and warmth in spades. This amp is sure to be a great addition for some polkster.
    Tim

LSI7 x 3 (fronts)
    rt25i x 2 (surrounds)
    SVS PB-10 NSD
    Harmon Kardon 235 pre/pro
    NAD amps
    Xbox 360
    Pioneer DV-578A (DVD, SACD, DVD-A)
  • jhermance
    jhermance Posts: 214
    edited August 2006
    pm sent
    Samsung UN46C7000
    Cambridge Audio 640R
    Sony BDP-S570
    Magnepan MMG's
    Totem Dreamcatcher Center
    Eleganza™ Bella 1200 High Performance Subwoofer
    Polk R15 Surrounds
    Audioquest Cables
    Panamax 5510-PRO AC Regenerator
    Monster Cable HTS 2500 MKII power cleaner
    Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnects
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    SOLD, thanks much.