FS: ADCOM GTP-500 Pre-Amp & ADCOM GFA-545 Amplifier

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited August 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I have some additional gear to set loose upon the world.

ADCOM GTP-500 MkII Pre-Amplifier & Tuner - 9/10 - Black - *SOLD*

This is a neat pre-amp from the folks at Adcom. What's really cool is that I actualy have the original remote control, as they are almost always MIA.

Seriously, the coolest feature of this pre-amp is the ability to swap between Direct Coupled(DC) and Capacitance Coupled(CC) outputs. The DC design removes the capacitors from the output stage for a simpler, cleaner signal path. This was an either/or option on my Cary SLP98F1 and it costs WAY more children. I chose DC for the Cary because it offered better slam and a more open, airy top end. Does it sound better? I think so, but it's your ears not mine. Regardless, you have the ability to decide by just changing the interconnects, I don't.

Here are the features:

AM/FM Tuner w/ 16 Presets
Phono Input
AD Link Capable(Adcom Owners)
Infrared Repeater Capable
3 Audio Inputs/ 2 Outputs
Main Outputs Lab(DC) or Normal(CC)
3 Accessory Outlets
Headphone Output
Tone Controls + Filters

Comments: It's in excellent condition w/ no problems noted.

Adcom GTP-500 Pre-Amp

Includes: Original remote control, original AM/FM antennas, reproduction user manual and HIGH quality service manual ala www.stereomanuals.com

Adcom GFA-545 Amplifier(100x2@8) - 8/10 - Black - *SOLD*

The GFA series turned audio nuts into Adcom fanatics. This is an original GFA-545 and the predecesor to the venerable GFA-5400. Solid, reliable and powerful. These amps have the ability to drive very low impedence loads and are additionally fused and thermal protected. Adcom also uses a proprietary Instantaneous Distortion Alert(IDA) on each channel, to monitor all forms of distortion when they exceed 1%. The manual is a good read for more information on this feature.

Comments: The unit has a small scratch on the center, top faceplate which has been touched up a little bit. I didn't want to overdo it and the rest of the unit is very nice.

Adcom GFA-545 Amplifier

Includes: Reproduction user manual and HIGH quality service manual ala www.stereomanuals.com

ALL my gear is cleaned from top to bottom, inside and out. I check for loose connections and obvious problems. All vital connections are cleaned and treated with CAIG products. The gear is tested in-house on a generic rig to ensure functionality, documented and photographed. I keep the description simple and the photos basic, but additional information is available upon request.

If there is a problem upon receipt of the gear, I am available 24/7 365 via dorokusai@comcast.net.

CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited August 2006
    How does that 545 compare to the Nad 2200 in your opinion? I have the 2200 and it has more power (200 wpc ) vs. the 545's 150. The NAD is high voltage as in the Adcom, but I don't know the Adcom's output.

Assuming you have heard both. What kind of sound difference would you say there is between NAD and Adcom pieces? I also have the NAD 1155 preamp. Essentially trying to figure out if Adcom is better or on equal footing? This of course, is subjective.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2006
    Man, I'm seriously tempted to snag 'em both, just to see how good SS sounds with Klipsch. Would be a rockin' backup/secondary system, too.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    univera wrote:
    How does that 545 compare to the Nad 2200 in your opinion? I have the 2200 and it has more power (200 wpc ) vs. the 545's 150. The NAD is high voltage as in the Adcom, but I don't know the Adcom's output.

Assuming you have heard both. What kind of sound difference would you say there is between NAD and Adcom pieces? I also have the NAD 1155 preamp. Essentially trying to figure out if Adcom is better or on equal footing? This of course, is subjective.

Univera - I'm actually writing up an ad for a NAD 2200PE now. The 2200(PE) is actually spec'd @ 100wpc/400wpc bridged. The vintage gear is usually rated at MINIMUM power, which I think is cool. It's a very powerful amplifier thanks to the design, very nice amp man. Do you need another? :) I also love the 11xx series pre-amps.

The NAD is easily warmer than the Adcom, with a smoother transition into the top end. I think the Adcom has it in final top end dynamics, but can sometimes be a little harsh at the limit. The NAD has longer legs when it comes to short term power extension, but the Adcom isn't far behind. Both are stable into 2 ohm loads, dynamic power.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    Man, I'm seriously tempted to snag 'em both, just to see how good SS sounds with Klipsch. Would be a rockin' backup/secondary system, too.

It would be a giant killer rig matched up with the LSi7's from McLoki.
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2006
    Don't say that! I'm tempted! Though, I'd be much more tempted to get some vintage Polks. For some reason, they've captured my heart, before I've even heard any. I figure a solid 100wpc would do w/e I could find justice.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • univera
    edited August 2006
    dorokusai wrote:
    Univera - I'm actually writing up an ad for a NAD 2200PE now. The 2200(PE) is actually spec'd @ 100wpc/400wpc bridged. The vintage gear is usually rated at MINIMUM power, which I think is cool. It's a very powerful amplifier thanks to the design, very nice amp man. Do you need another? :) I also love the 11xx series pre-amps.

The NAD is easily warmer than the Adcom, with a smoother transition into the top end. I think the Adcom has it in final top end dynamics, but can sometimes be a little harsh at the limit. The NAD has longer legs when it comes to short term power extension, but the Adcom isn't far behind. Both are stable into 2 ohm loads, dynamic power.

Thanks for that feedback. Exactly what I was looking for. Warm is good to me. Yea, I might be interested in the 2200.

I have bantered back and forth about getting a couple more 2200's as they are badass amps for the money and I could put more juice on my mains or bi-amp with 4. Or, I could stay with two 2200's and get two 555's for the lowend. :)

What can you tell me about George D's Anthem amp? Totally clueless about tube gear.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• audiobliss
    edited August 2006
    *takes a deep breath*

I'm gonna focus on finishing my main rig, and then maybe do something in my car.

*vows not to check this thread again*
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • timothyj
    timothyj Posts: 129
    edited August 2006
    I'm interested in the NAD if univera doesn't take it.
    Tim

LSI7 x 3 (fronts)
    rt25i x 2 (surrounds)
    SVS PB-10 NSD
    Harmon Kardon 235 pre/pro
    NAD amps
    Xbox 360
    Pioneer DV-578A (DVD, SACD, DVD-A)
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    Anthem/Sonic Frontiers is another brand I've had alot of success with, especially in pre-amps. I haven't owned that particular one, so I can't speak for the sonics, ask Russman, but I know it to be a very well designed piece of gear. I believe Russ still owns his Amp2....

The SE version adds better capacitors, Kimber Kable wiring....better stock tubes and something else which alludes me. I think that's fairly accurate, although my brain is soft today. The fact it can run a pair of LSi's is impressive.
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    timothyj wrote:
    I'm interested in the NAD if univera doesn't take it.

Ok, lemme get this body written up and posted, that way you guys can get a look at it. Thanks for your interest Timothy.
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    *takes a deep breath*

I'm gonna focus on finishing my main rig, and then maybe do something in my car.

*vows not to check this thread again*

You should take care of the things that get you to work and school...you have a very nice rig now. Relax, wildcat.
  • Jockos
    Jockos Posts: 310
    edited August 2006
    dorokusai,

Is that rust on the heatsinks on the GFA-545 or just an artifact of the pictures.

Thanks
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2006
    thier aluminum and it don't rust.. they have a bluish color to em if i remember right, i had a 535 and 555 before and looked that way
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    Jockos wrote:
    dorokusai,

Is that rust on the heatsinks on the GFA-545 or just an artifact of the pictures.

Thanks

Faster - Thank you sir :)

Jockos - He's correct, they are aluminum and it's as you said, just an artifact of the lighting.
  • Jockos
    Jockos Posts: 310
    edited August 2006
  • univera
    edited August 2006
    Doro or anyone else, I may have lost my mind, but what are your feelings on bi-amping SDA-SRS's with two of these? There is another available on Ebay with updated power cord. My current plan was using my 7600 receiver (which is a very clean running piece at 0.03 THD) and adding my 2200PE for bi-amped config.

That is way more than I was planning on spending at the moment (for two Anthems), but that might set me straight for quite some time.;) I am blindly approaching this as I have no experience with hybrids or tubes.

1) I would expect a big improvement in sound at this price. 2) I don't want to lose dynamics or kick. 3) Can one use a SS pre-amp for the time being? 4)Do these meet the high voltage demands of the SRS's?

5) You also mention accuracy? Are tubes not as accurate as SS? My listening preferences are towards classic rock, blues, smooth jazz, female vocals. Symphony music is unlikely.
    dorokusai wrote:
    Anthem/Sonic Frontiers is another brand I've had alot of success with, especially in pre-amps. I haven't owned that particular one, so I can't speak for the sonics, ask Russman, but I know it to be a very well designed piece of gear. I believe Russ still owns his Amp2....

The SE version adds better capacitors, Kimber Kable wiring....better stock tubes and something else which alludes me. I think that's fairly accurate, although my brain is soft today. The fact it can run a pair of LSi's is impressive.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    edited August 2006
    Is that $160 shipped on the 545?
    PP... MO ?

Thank you sir.

G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    1) How do I fit into this expenditure? I'm not selling an Anthem, only a NAD amp at a modest price.

2) I can't answer that because I don't know exactly what your plans are for this SRS rig. Hi - Tube, Low - SS....??? If you want bottom end kick, my suggestion is SS, if you want magic top end, Tubes.

3) You can utilize any pre-amp, for any amplifier, at any given time. The results are purely subjective.

4) Do these meet....? I need some clarification here. Are you referring to the Anthem + Adcom?

5) No, I don't think tubes are as accurate as SS and that is exactly how it should be. I would elaborate but that's for another thread.

I know we're in between PM's, so forgive me but I figured I'd answer your questions nonetheless.
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    gwh wrote:
    Is that $160 shipped on the 545?
    PP... MO ?

Thank you sir.

G

GWH,

My FM prices ALWAYS include shipping. I accept all forms of payment but would truly prefer MO, as I take an additional hit on PayPal. Either way, thanks for the response.

Regards,
    Mark
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    This is a sweet, ready made rig for any application.
  • faster100
    edited August 2006
    $160 shipped, after shipping your talking $120 -130 tops for the amp. even less for the west coasters, what a steal ! :eek:

and yes folks with gas prices, the shipping has increased.. last few larger shipments i have made, have been alot higher cost.. I jump all over inclusive "shipped" items
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2006
    *tries not to look*
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • faster100
    edited August 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    *tries not to look*

LOL AB just jump on it...

ok sorry for the derails. :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,571
    edited August 2006
    Ok...

160 shipped..

Is absolutely insane...

Ill be back to this thread sometime next week to see if its gone.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2006
    What's that amps output into 2ohms? I think I might have found a rig for it. I'm still really tempted...
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • maxima
    maxima Posts: 143
    edited August 2006
    Hey Doro,

This 545 would go well in my theater with the other one I bought from George Daniel. I would like to take it off your hands if still available. I will Papal from my bank or send a check. Either way should be free of fees to you. Thanks,

Eric
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited August 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    What's that amps output into 2ohms? I think I might have found a rig for it. I'm still really tempted...

I don't think Adcom rated this amp for 2omhs

what would yo have that is 2ohms?

just wondering
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2006
    Well, phooey. I was just fixing to say I'd take the both of them. More so for experimentation than because I need them in a rig. I've realized that the only way to learn in this hobby is to hear everything you can, which neccessitates a lot of gear swapping.

If maxima backs out, I'll take them. If not, then I've still got some warm tubes! :)
    hoosier21 wrote:
    I don't think Adcom rated this amp for 2omhs

what would yo have that is 2ohms?

just wondering
    Hahaha. That was a brain ****. I meant 4ohms.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited August 2006
    Man, I have a hard enough time typing, but this new wireless keyboard is killing me.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2006
    Maxima - I think that Jockos is solid on the amplifier at the moment and we're discussing the pre-amp. I will let you know if anything changes but I appreciate your interest either way.

AB - Go clean your room! :)

Faster/ Zero - Thanks for the comments.

Hoosier - You need a better skill set.