1990 Jetta Door Install

Pinkank
Pinkank Posts: 12
edited August 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,
I have a 1990 VW Jetta without the AKTIV system. At the moment there is no speaker in the door. There is a place where speakers could have gone if that option was selected from the factory, but since they never were there is only a little storage compartment that fills the space. First of all I cant seem to get that little storage compartment thing out, and then second how would i go about mounting a MMC525 or a MMC5250 woofer(the tweeter would go on the dash) there?

I hope somebody will be able to help me.

email me at zacharyjohnson7@hotmail.com

thanks

Zach
Post edited by Pinkank on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2006
    is there anyway you can post a picture of the door panel?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Pinkank
    edited August 2006
    Here are the pictures of the door, you can see that little storage bin in the bottom right hand corner, that is what the factory put there if you didnt order the 6 speaker sound system.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/9295/1io0.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5325/2nc9.jpg

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/318/3ei1.jpg

hope this helps, thanks for the help
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2006
    Youre going to have to take the whole door panel off most likely. Behind the window crank theres a horse shoe shape pin that has to get popped off. They have the specialty tools for it at any local automotive store. Be very careful, those pins fly off really far if you dont watch out. If you do lose em, they sell replacements at your local automotive store.

After that, theres probably a screw in your door handle. The little black plastic piece will slide off toward the inside of the car, the door handle stays there.

Theres two screws that come in from the side towards the inside that come out, possibly 1 or 2 on the outside that have to come out. Also might be a couple of screws on the very very bottom.

If theres not a screw in your a pillar, it should just pop off.

On the black handle(not the one that opens the door), look for little tabs that pop off where the handle meets the door. If there are a couple of those, pop em off(icepick works great if you dont have a small flat head screw driver) and there will be a couple screws under that.

After all that is done, start with the very bottom outside corner and start slowly pulling out. That door is held on by platic pins that simply pop off.

After that, you should be able to take that compartment out and put the speaker there. There should already be a hole in the door skin for a speaker.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Pinkank
    edited August 2006
    ok, ill try that out,

thanks very much