Polk Dual DB124 Needs Amplifier

Hard-NYC
Hard-NYC Posts: 3
edited October 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Speakers: 4 Polk DB570s

CD Player: Sony CDXGT300

Subwoofers:
Polk Dual DB124

So far I have the Speakers & CD Player purchased and installed. My question is which amplifer(s) would best power up my system for no more than $350? Also, I've been hearing mixed things about the enclosure's power vent technology and how it can potentially harm your product? Any input would be appreciated!
Post edited by Hard-NYC on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2006
    www.onlinecarstereo.com
    >>hifonics
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2006
    Ugh. Dont get Hifonics. Why pay for 1000 watts and only get 800?

Get the Polk 500.1

Its on sale for $350 right now on Sounddomain. And youre paying for 500 watts and getting 600! Plus you get its great crossover and tuning features.

http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~b~Polk+Audio~t~Subwoofer+Mono+Amps
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2006
    Hard-NYC wrote:
    Also, I've been hearing mixed things about the enclosure's power vent technology and how it can potentially harm your product?

Huh?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2006
    I missed that one.

The only thing a port could hurt would be the sub itself, and Im pretty sure it wouldnt have made it thru R&D if it was destroying itself.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Hard-NYC
    edited August 2006
    Wouldn't only a mono amplifer power up only 1 subwoofer? Sorry I don't know too much about this stuff, if anyone could explain.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited August 2006
    At 4 ohms, a mono amp will power one 4 ohm single voice coil sub. If your mono amp is 2 ohm stable (as many decent ones are), it will nicely power two 4 ohm subs with much increased power OR one dual 4 ohm voice coil sub at the same increased power level. Manufacturers will usually list rms power ratings at 4 and 2 ohms (if stable at 2 ohms), and usually list the minimum impedance level their amps will operate at.

Impedance loads presented to an amp by multiple subs can be manipulated greatly with series or parallel wiring schemes to get the most out of your amp. Many high end amps are stable to 1 ohm (or as little as 0.5 ohms) and put out incredible power into those loads using multiple subs all day long without missing a beat. Don't expect these types of amps to come cheap though.

Most affordable quality mono amps can usually be depended on at 2 ohms. Garden variety two or four channel class A/B amps are typically stable only to 4 ohms (bridged, for maximum output), so connecting multiple subs to one of these usually means wiring subs to produce that 4 ohm load.

As far as ports affecting reliability of subs, an optimized (for your sub) sealed enclosure is usually more tolerant for slightly overpowering the sub. The air trapped in a sealed box will better damp the action of the woofer at high volume and excursion.

A sub in a ported box has a frequency it is tuned to, and while the sub is usually capable of playing lower than that tuned frequency, it can over extend itself when driven too hard below the tuned frequency of the box. Overpowering the same ported sub to excess can damage the woofer, as can overdriving it below the tuned frequency. A subsonic filter (built-in to many brands of amplifier) acts as insurance to keep your woofer from trying to play too low a frequency and risking possible damage should you get too crazy with the volume control.
  • Hard-NYC
    edited October 2006
    Sorry, I've been gone guys. Really busy with work and paying off expenses but I still need an amplifier! 350 is still my limit and the Polk amplifier on Sound Domain raised its price before I could come up with the cash. Any other reccomendations? I have the money in hand and I am really looking to buy the amplifier within the week.
  • hondahirny
    hondahirny Posts: 19
    edited October 2006
    1999 Honda Civic LX - 105 gerbils at the flywheel!
    Sony CDX-GT100 Head Unit
    Rockford something or other 6.5" in the front. I'm taking donations for MMC6500's!
    Polk Momo MMC690 6x9's in rear
    Polk Momo c300.2 amp via 4ga. and a 1.5 Farad stiffy :eek:
    Polk db804 8" Subs x 2, in sealed box.