Yet another project with an engine

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited November 2006 in The Clubhouse
So, my dad still has his first motorcycle.... a 1967 Yamaha YDS3 Catalina. It hasn't been on the road since '82, and I was not able to get it to kick over. So, I decided to go ahead and put it into "restoration in progress" mode. The motor is out and the heads are off after a day's work, now I just have to get to tearing into the bottom end. I would like to be able to get away with honing the cylinders and just replacing the rings with stock sized ones, but I might have to bore the cylinders out and put in a set of .50 over rings.

Here are the pics, before I go to work

tn_med_100_2581.jpg
Stripped down bike with most the major bits removed.

tn_med_100_2583.jpg
30,683 miles, on a 2 stroke engine that, until today, had never been apart.

tn_med_100_2584.jpg
The seat is dusty, but still in fairly good condition.

tn_med_100_2585.jpg
The gas tank needs a paint job, though the decals are all in good condition. The inside is a mess of flakey rust, that's going to have to be removed and sealed before use...

tn_med_100_2587.jpg
The 247cc engine.

tn_med_100_2588.jpg
Twin Mikuni carbs

tn_med_100_2589.jpg
Two side covers removed, exposing the fluid clutch (left) and the Autolube mixer pump (right). The Autolube system, for those that don't know, automatically mixes straight gas, and straight oil, into the appropriate ratio depending on engine revs and how far the throttle is buried.

tn_med_100_2591.jpg
Looks worse than it really is. What looks like rust here is just carbon that's been saturated with cleaner. The flash gave it the reddish tinge. Still, some cleaning to do. The cylinders don't look like they're in bad condition, but getting the pistons out without scratching the cylinders could be tricky.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited August 2006
    Gonna have to be a labor of love. Not sure you'll get your $ out of this project, but you probably already realize that.

Hell, I like the vacuum in the shot with the gas tank. Where did THAT come from. Make sure you don't grab that instead of the tank when you put it back together. Or then again maybe it would be a cool mod.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2006
    You might not want to put the stolen "road closed" sign in the next set of pictures :eek:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2006
    dkg999 wrote:
    You might not want to put the stolen "road closed" sign in the next set of pictures :eek:

KINKS wrote:
    Silly boy ya self-destroyer.
    Paranoia, the destroyer

:p:D :cool:
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • nadams
    edited August 2006
    PENNDOT can have the road closed sign if they want it... I honestly don't know where it came from. I think we found it in a creek on our old property after a flood...

As for the engine, it may not be as bad as we think. I just ordered these just in case... couldn't pass it up for the price - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170018914688&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSAA%3AUS%3A11

I'm actually going to go out and tear into the bottom end now to see how things look... wish me luck!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2006
    Gl!

Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • nadams
    edited August 2006
    Got the pistons out and the jugs off. The one piston was stuck fast to the jug because it was just barely exposing the exhaust port. Even moisture getting though from the exhaust is a ****. Used most of my can of PB blaster, and a lot of tapping, and it finally unstuck. We need to get a cylinder hone now and prep the cylinders for the new pistons.

We did crack the one piston (the stuck one) when we were tapping, but it didn't scratch the cylinder walls on the way out. We went slow and kept it well-lubricated from top and bottom. This engine should almost be like new with honed cylinders, new pistons, and new rings... My dad still has a gasket set from the last time he worked on it, and it still has two head gaskets and two jug gaskets, and they all seem to be in good condition, so we should be set to put it back together.

I hate to say it right at the moment, but it looks like this might not be such an involved project. Of course, there's still the rest of the bike to work on (swingarm bushings, electrical system, front shocks leaking, front brake cable broke, cleaning out the gas tank, etc)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited August 2006
    Today I spent most of the day cleaning the frame and components. On to the pics!

tn_med_100_2581.jpg
    Before the cleaning commenced.

tn_med_100_2596.jpg
    After cleaning (removed the rear swingarm for easier access)

tn_med_100_2599.jpg
    This chain guard was about 1/8" thick with black greasy crud. I was actually surprised to find that it was chrome.

tn_med_100_2601.jpg
    The clean swingarm, with wheel and shocks still attached (quickest way to remove it).

tn_med_100_2602.jpg
    I didn't know the rear wheel was chrome, either! (pardon the water spots)

tn_med_100_2603.jpg
    This is where it starts to worry me. On the side of the conrod, in the "maha" part of "Yamaha", there appears to be some cracks that aren't present in the other conrod. Stress fractures or casting defects? I was hoping to just get away with a bore job on the cylinders and oversized pistons, and have this engine running relatively easily.

tn_med_100_2604.jpg
    The engine, overall... I built a table just to work on the engine, as it collapsed my card table.

tn_med_100_2607.jpg
    Gauges, all cleaned up...

tn_med_100_2608.jpg
    All of the wiring for the headlight switches, horn switch, key switch, and gauge lighting is contained in the headlight shell... It looks like a mess, but I have schematics that are very clear!

By the way, all the cleaning and crud removal was done with Simple Green Max, diluted 1:1 in water. Worked great!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2006
    Yes, the cracks on the connecting rod does make me uneasy also. If there that little puppy was rev'd over it's limits. I wonder if it those could be welded then reground back to shape and weight? That's if no replacement could be found.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• nadams
    edited October 2006
    IT LIVES!!! I got it fired for the first time this afternoon... I'm working on getting the video uploaded...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited October 2006
    Here's the videos-

W/O exhaust pipes- http://www.king-nerd.com/dood/temp/yds3/100_2681.mov

W/ Exhaust and stupid commentary - http://www.king-nerd.com/dood/temp/yds3/100_2682.mov
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2006
    I have a friend who has one with 700 orig. miles on it. They are a blast to ride.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880