2 questions from a newcomer

Options
ekmanning5
ekmanning5 Posts: 3
edited August 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hello all
I recently purchased my first Polk Audio product; a used set of Monitor 10b's. I have been extremely pleased with their sound quality. They are far and away the best speakers I have ever owned. In researching them on the internet I came across this site and have picked up a lot of valuble info about them here. I do however, have two questions that perhaps you could help me with. Is there anywhere I can purchase grill pegs? The original ones are either missing or just about useless. Secondly, two of the midrange drivers are slightly dented in the very middle. I don't think this affects the sound (as far as my uneducated ears can tell anyway), but if I could, I would like to repair this. Thank you all in advance, I am greatly enjoying reading the different audio posts here.
Ed
Post edited by ekmanning5 on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the Club Polk Forums Ed! Congrats on your Monitor 10's. They are a very fine speaker. Pegs for the grill covers are going to be hard to find unless you find a junk pair somewhere along the road. Sometimes eBay has some parts. Your best bet is probably some home made ones. Velcro tape can be used to secure a speaker grill. Maybe some other Forum members may have some ideas for you.

The dents in the dome of the driver will not affect your sound quality. You may want to CAREFULLY try using some tape wrapped around the end of your finger (sticky side out) GENTLY press the tape onto the dent and see if you can lift it out.

Good luck and welcome to the Forums!
    Carl

• ekmanning5
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Thank you Carl, I think I remember reading in one of the past threads that the holes for the grill pegs are 3/8". Perhaps some small dowels would do the trick.
  • riglehart
    riglehart Posts: 276
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Go to this web page of polk support...

http://www.polkaudio.com/inside/service.php

I got some of those a couple months ago. They stock 2 sizes, so be sure you know how big they are. I think 1/4 and 5/8 where the choices.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
    Standard equip not worth bragging about.
  • riglehart
    edited August 2006
    Options
    You can get brand new replacement drivers from the same site. Tell them you are a forum member and you get a discount...

I actually bought 2 replacement drivers for some 11TL and they threw the grill pegs in for nothing. The drivers were $48 each.

If you take a screwdriver and pull out the driver it should have a part number on the back, but they likely won't need it.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited August 2006
    Options
    The pegs are also available from places like Parts Express, etc.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ekmanning5
    edited August 2006
    Options
    riglehart wrote:
    You can get brand new replacement drivers from the same site. Tell them you are a forum member and you get a discount...

I actually bought 2 replacement drivers for some 11TL and they threw the grill pegs in for nothing. The drivers were $48 each.

If you take a screwdriver and pull out the driver it should have a part number on the back, but they likely won't need it.
    I think I will leave the drivers alone for right now. I am just getting into the vintage stereo hobby and I would like to hone my repair skills on lesser quality items. I recently purchased a Sony/Dual, receiver/turntable combo for two dollars. I'll take my chances destroying that first. Thanks for the good advice though.
  • riglehart
    edited August 2006
    Options
    This is a little late, but WTH...

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/modelpartslist.php3?model=monitor

Thanks to another form member for helping me find this again.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4