RT1000i Question - Ken S.?

elsid88
elsid88 Posts: 38
edited June 2002 in Speakers
Ken or anyone who might know:

What is the difference in the sub output power of "35 Watts continuous" listing on the web site under specs for "Power Output" for the RT1000i vs. the 160 Watts for System Sub Amp Power listed in the manual.

Just curious....

"That's a winner" (the late Jack Francis Buck)
Post edited by elsid88 on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2002
    Hello,
    Thanks for participating in the Forum. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has stipulated that amplifiers used in speakers to power the bass units should specify the continuous power rating, giving the load impedance, the amount of distortion and the frequency range the measurement was taken. In the case of the RT1000i the continuous power would be 35 Watts operating into a 4 Ohm driver impedance with less than 1% distortion measured from 30 Hz to 200 Hz. I believe the amplifier has to maintain this level for 30 minutes. However, we feel that it is also important for an owner to know what the amplifier can accomplish under the normal conditions that we use our sound systems. Bass energy is required in brief bursts of sound, one second nothing and the next a bass peak then back to nothing. For this reason we also offer the Dynamic Power, or short term power level, which would be 80 Watts. Since most of the time bass information appears at both the right and left channels with the same signal level you could combine both channels for a combination of 160 Watts system capability.
    Keep in mind, there's lots more to producing sound volume other than the amount of amplifying power. The design of the enclosure, the efficiency of the woofers and the use of Power Port technology contribute dramatically to the total bass performance.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • elsid88
    elsid88 Posts: 38
    edited June 2002
    Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I knew I could count on you to get the straight answer. You have ALWAYS come through.

I figured that at 35 watts into 4 ohms, high current probably and with an efficiency rating of 90, the RT1000i at 32 watts at 1m you could produce 105 decibles which should be loud enough for your base/lfe sound. Then multiply that by 2 for your L/R speakers. This should produce decent bass. Which I have found does. Actually, imho, I have found that the bass tones blend well from the two subs in the RT1000i's which is good. But, if you want true lfe ground shaking bass, then bring on the PSW650 :lol:

Thanks again Ken, I have truly appreciated your knowledge and help in this forum. It definately exemplifies the committment to quality at POLK.:D

Tom...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2002
    Hello Tom,
    You're welcome, glad to be of help. Nothing beats listening to great music on great speakers!
    Take care, Ken